Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride in hilly and uneven terrain, so I am curious if tire pressure is critical to stability. I found I had close to 6 LBS in my tires, and took them down a bit. It seems softer, but more tippy on side hills. Anyone have some thoughts on how tire pressure affects stability.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I ride in hilly and uneven terrain, so I am curious if tire pressure is critical to stability. I found I had close to 6 LBS in my tires, and took them down a bit. It seems softer, but more tippy on side hills. Anyone have some thoughts on how tire pressure affects stability.
Really depends on what tires you run to. My Growlers have stiff side walls and even with fast aggressive driving over rough terrain, I've settled at 4 psi all around. In comparison stock tires are much softer as you've observed.

I've found that 1 to 2 psi difference can drastically change an atv's ride quality and handling characteristics.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha Kodiak 700 EPS SE with full Ricochet 10 piece skid plates, warn vr-x 25 winch.
241 Posts
How often do you put air in the stock tires, since I ride often, I check it once a month and the OEM tire gauge is garbage. I always end up putting air in them. running 5 to 5.5 psi in the front and 4.5 to 5 psi in the rear.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is good pressure, I have only needed air a few times in 4 years. I do run 15 pounds all the way around once I put chains on for traction in the snow. That keeps the chains snug and it seems to work well.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Yamaha Kodiak 700 base model
2,247 Posts
I hardly ever use a gauge but judge the pressure level with my foot on the tire. My foot is calibrated close to 5psi.

Other than that I also have a digital gauge that I'll use if I am around my home.

Tire psi is up to the rider. Some like more air and others like less.

Reactions: Jssrvlz

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha Kodiak 700 EPS SE with full Ricochet 10 piece skid plates, warn vr-x 25 winch.
241 Posts
I hardly ever use a gauge but judge the pressure level with my foot on the tire. My foot is calibrated close to 5psi.

Other than that I also have a digital gauge that I'll use if I am around my home.

Tire psi is up to the rider. Some like more air and others like less.
my general rule of thumb, as long as the bead does not fall off lol, I like the oem specs for the pressures.

·
Registered
402 Posts
27inch tires 15lbs in the rear 13lbs in the front, strictly road use. It seems the more pressure the better they handle..

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I ve been aggressivly beating the crap out of my Pitbull Growlers 26x9R12 square set up @ 3 psi all around for last 500 kms ( 300 miles)

So fare so good.

Reactions: JD864

·
Registered
429 Posts
Low pressure of 4 to 4.5 is questionable on stock 2 plus. Dealer sent me home with 3.5 in the right front and the tire folded under on hard left hand turn and rolled on my chest and FX 3 ribs . On my limestone terrain/ ridge I have settled on 8 lbs all around on Kenda HTRs. Turns better, all the traction I need, superbside stability with the 6 ply rating. To each his own... low pressure gains me very little in loose creek gravel.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hilly uneven terrain here as well, I set my tires to 5psi all around last year after they were mounted.. havnt checked them since lol. Keep meaning to buy a nice low pressure guage, but also keep forgetting 😅

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hilly uneven terrain here as well, I set my tires to 5psi all around last year after they were mounted.. havnt checked them since lol. Keep meaning to buy a nice low pressure guage, but also keep forgetting 😅
I rode with 5 psi all around and it felt great, mostly trail riding and into the mud and rocks, it took everything I threw at it.

·
Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27” Reptiles, 1” wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
664 Posts
On the stock tires I needed 7psi to keep them somewhat upright. On my 6-ply radial Reptiles, I go anywhere from 3.5-5 depending on terrain. I like the tires to give first, the suspension 2nd, and me 3rd! Makes for a more confident ride. When it gets reversed, I’m not as confident.

·
Super Moderator
1,420 Posts
27inch tires 15lbs in the rear 13lbs in the front, strictly road use. It seems the more pressure the better they handle..
They will definitely handle better but the center will wear out so fast. Road is hard on them to begin with, but at high pressur, it's brutle wear.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,420 Posts
On the stock tires I needed 7psi to keep them somewhat upright. On my 6-ply radial Reptiles, I go anywhere from 3.5-5 depending on terrain. I like the tires to give first, the suspension 2nd, and me 3rd! Makes for a more confident ride. When it gets reversed, I’m not as confident.
Wait, that's not right.... Your body first, suspension? What is that?.. Tires last.... Oh sorry.. My bad... That was the old days on the honda 3 wheeler... Lol

Reactions: Jssrvlz and JD864

·
Registered
402 Posts
Wheel Car Tire Plant Vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread
They will definitely handle better but the center will wear out so fast. Road is hard on them to begin with, but at high pressur, it's brutle wear.

With any other tire I would agree,these tires have OVER 500 pavement miles. I'm so impressed with the performance of them, I can see getting 3 or more thousand miles.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Ensuring even wear on tires that see mostly pavement miles is as easy as drawing a line straight across the tread with a piece of chaulk. A lot of people I know with trucks that run mud terrains do this to ensure even wear. I need to do this with mine.. but keeps slipping my mind lol.

You draw the line across the tread, drive a couple hundred feet, and see how much of that line has disappeared. If it's worn off in the middle, and still there on the sides, you lower psi and try again... to get the most even wear you can you just keep lowering the psi until the entire line is gone when you stop and check.

Obviously, a lot of atv tread patterns won't really allow this.. so kinda useless info for wheelers but.. yeah.. great for trucks!

·
Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27” Reptiles, 1” wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
664 Posts
Drive thru a water puddle on concrete. Watch the shape of your contact patch where it leaves water. Let’s you know if it is under / over inflated.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I would say about 6 psi or 7 psi on the stock Mu19 and Mu20. That seems pretty stable in a drift or if you are on the side of a hill and your front tire drops into a rut, you dont feel the tire try to fold a little.

The Bearclaws Im around 5 or 6. I guess i really like the stability. But Ive always been a drifter.

Even on my bicycles through the years, I always wanted my tires more firm.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.