Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride in hilly and uneven terrain, so I am curious if tire pressure is critical to stability. I found I had close to 6 LBS in my tires, and took them down a bit. It seems softer, but more tippy on side hills. Anyone have some thoughts on how tire pressure affects stability.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I ride in hilly and uneven terrain, so I am curious if tire pressure is critical to stability. I found I had close to 6 LBS in my tires, and took them down a bit. It seems softer, but more tippy on side hills. Anyone have some thoughts on how tire pressure affects stability.
Really depends on what tires you run to. My Growlers have stiff side walls and even with fast aggressive driving over rough terrain, I've settled at 4 psi all around. In comparison stock tires are much softer as you've observed.

I've found that 1 to 2 psi difference can drastically change an atv's ride quality and handling characteristics.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting, in my case, once I let the dropped the air pressure, I actually stopped to see if I had a flat, but they are all over 4 LBS. Thanks for the reply and info!

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha Kodiak 700 EPS SE with full Ricochet 10 piece skid plates, warn vr-x 25 winch.
86 Posts
How often do you put air in the stock tires, since I ride often, I check it once a month and the OEM tire gauge is garbage. I always end up putting air in them. running 5 to 5.5 psi in the front and 4.5 to 5 psi in the rear.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is good pressure, I have only needed air a few times in 4 years. I do run 15 pounds all the way around once I put chains on for traction in the snow. That keeps the chains snug and it seems to work well.

·
Super Moderator
1,774 Posts
I hardly ever use a gauge but judge the pressure level with my foot on the tire. My foot is calibrated close to 5psi.

Other than that I also have a digital gauge that I'll use if I am around my home.

Tire psi is up to the rider. Some like more air and others like less.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha Kodiak 700 EPS SE with full Ricochet 10 piece skid plates, warn vr-x 25 winch.
86 Posts
I hardly ever use a gauge but judge the pressure level with my foot on the tire. My foot is calibrated close to 5psi.

Other than that I also have a digital gauge that I'll use if I am around my home.

Tire psi is up to the rider. Some like more air and others like less.
my general rule of thumb, as long as the bead does not fall off lol, I like the oem specs for the pressures.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
27inch tires 15lbs in the rear 13lbs in the front, strictly road use. It seems the more pressure the better they handle..

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I ve been aggressivly beating the crap out of my Pitbull Growlers 26x9R12 square set up @ 3 psi all around for last 500 kms ( 300 miles)

So fare so good.

Reactions: JD864

·
Registered
391 Posts
Low pressure of 4 to 4.5 is questionable on stock 2 plus. Dealer sent me home with 3.5 in the right front and the tire folded under on hard left hand turn and rolled on my chest and FX 3 ribs . On my limestone terrain/ ridge I have settled on 8 lbs all around on Kenda HTRs. Turns better, all the traction I need, superbside stability with the 6 ply rating. To each his own... low pressure gains me very little in loose creek gravel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts