Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use a snow trailer to transport my 450s and while I use the receiver hitch as a rear tie down point, I never found a point on the front of the machine I felt was solid.

I just picked up a new 700 and it seems to have less options areas near the front of the quad to hook straps to.

Anyone have recommendations for solid tie down points near the front of these Kodiaks? Seems kind of weird to not have any loops or shackle points.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I tie my 700 down with ratchet straps to the front rack. This is solid and has worked well. I have also strapped it down at the handlebars but prefer the front rack, this is much more solid and secure.

·
Super Moderator
1,239 Posts
The front and rear racks have enough strength to attach tie downs on for transport.

When I use a trailer I'll use 4 tie downs in a X pattern on both sides. One from the front rack to a area behind the machine and then one from the rear rack to the front of the machine. Then duplicate it on the opposite side. I will do the same if transporting it in the back of my truck. But if I am using my racks that fit across the bed rails I'll loop a tie down up and over the front rack and then down to the tie down location on the bed rail, same with the rear. I'll also use to extra straps under the machine. One from the front using the winch hook and one from the rear using the hitch.

·
Super Moderator
288 Posts
I strap over the tires, by far the best way to anchor. When you attach to any point above the suspension, the bike moves as you travel and can loosen. Straps tightened down over the tires don't loosen. 1700km from Ontario to New Brunswick, just as tight as when I put them on. Although, I drive about 50km abs stop for a coffee, I do give each strap one more ratchet to account for the straps settling in around the lugs. Usually it will only be 1 that has settled.
I actually flush mounted e-track anchor points into my trailer floor for this reason.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Hercanstein

·
Registered
115 Posts
^^ I second the strapping over the tires. ^^

My trailer is nowhere near as nice as CanadianKodiak700's, but has an expanded metal deck making strapping to the tires easy. Very secure way to anchor.

I switched to this way of tying down my machine after a strap came unhooked while anchoring to the rack due to suspension compression. Thank goodness for the PARK gear!

Happy Trails!

: )B

·
Super Moderator
1,239 Posts
If done properly even tying down above the suspension will work and the machine will not move even over very bumpy roads.

I switched from the old motorcycle type pull tie downs to ratchet straps and I even picked up a couple of Shock Straps that work fantastic. https://www.shockstrap.com/

I use them in a combination of them and regular ratchet straps. The secrete to tying down something is to have the tie down pulling against each other.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the ideas. I'll have to consider the racks again. I just never thought to use those because they're so high up on the machine. Like JimP, I like to do an X pattern, where the straps are setup to basically pulling in opposite directions. For example, receiver hitch on the machine to the deck in front of the machine. Then somewhere on the front of the machine to the deck behind it.

For short distances, I just use two per, and for long distances, each one gets 4 straps.

The e-track is nice, however, I am always loading different bikes, in different configurations on my trailer so it's not a practical option. I've found that ratchet straps, and those shock straps have worked great for me, I just have never found a good place near the front of the frame to hook to. I'll have to look at using the racks I guess, I'm not really interested in getting into welding ;)

·
Registered
472 Posts
These guys have all offered great suggestions and there is little to offer. I feel it is a good idea to put someting in front of the ATV to cushion it in a pick up bed. That is just a little insureance to keep it from breaking the window out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Winch hook in the front and a clevis in the hitch hole in the rear.
Fully insured so I get a new one if that don't hold.

·
Super Moderator
288 Posts
Winch hook in the front and a clevis in the hitch hole in the rear.
Fully insured so I get a new one if that don't hold.
In most places that will net you an improper secured load ticket. MOT/DOT in most provinces & states require 4 point tie down to a secure body part. Winch is not a body part by definition either

·
Super Moderator
288 Posts
Thanks for the ideas. I'll have to consider the racks again. I just never thought to use those because they're so high up on the machine. Like JimP, I like to do an X pattern, where the straps are setup to basically pulling in opposite directions. For example, receiver hitch on the machine to the deck in front of the machine. Then somewhere on the front of the machine to the deck behind it.

For short distances, I just use two per, and for long distances, each one gets 4 straps.

The e-track is nice, however, I am always loading different bikes, in different configurations on my trailer so it's not a practical option. I've found that ratchet straps, and those shock straps have worked great for me, I just have never found a good place near the front of the frame to hook to. I'll have to look at using the racks I guess, I'm not really interested in getting into welding ;)
That's the whole idea with e-track, you may down the strip and it gives you endless anchor points for different situations. If you look in the pic, you will see I cut mine up into small sections and placed front and rear of each tire, instead of the whole length on the floor.
The trailer has a galvanized steel floor, and I covered it with rough cut cedar because the bike would slide in all directions when traveling in rain on long drive. Strapped above suspension, hit a bump, shocks compress abs bike would move a bit in that second that straps are loose, then tighten up. On a short trip, you never notice it, on a long trip, you really notice how insecure it really is above the suspension.
This was confirmed for me at a safety course for work that included how to secure loads like heavy equipment. Ideally, to the point of least movement. Over axles, or tires. Hence the reason most flat deck tow trucks use axle straps first if they can, second option is to the frame.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I like the tire strap idea, but it would be better to have the ones that web over the tire so they can't fall off no matter what.

·
Registered
45 Posts
In most places that will net you an improper secured load ticket. MOT/DOT in most provinces & states require 4 point tie down to a secure body part. Winch is not a body part by definition either

Lol.... Here in the backwoods of lower Alabama you rarely even see a license plate on a trailer. Heck, you can drive 6 months or so without a plate on your car or truck. It's truly unlike anywhere I've ever lived before.... like stepping back in time.

·
Super Moderator
288 Posts
Lol.... Here in the backwoods of lower Alabama you rarely even see a license plate on a trailer. Heck, you can drive 6 months or so without a plate on your car or truck. It's truly unlike anywhere I've ever lived before.... like stepping back in time.
I'm not so lucky, MOT sits across from my driveway often, looking for infractions on trucks hauling to and from the mines here.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I also use the tire strap deal and have this kit installed on my trailer. It has the raised chocks with straps that go over the tires.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
288 Posts
I also use the tire strap deal and have this kit installed on my trailer. It has the raised chocks with straps that go over the tires.
Lol that's the exact kit that gave me the idea to do my trailer the way I did. I like the chock idea, but I wanted a flush floor

Reactions: Jharris704
1 - 17 of 17 Posts