Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a Moose throttle extender for the wife's Outlander and was wondering what people here are using for the Kodiaks?

·
Super Moderator
959 Posts
None. First step before adding one to any bike, adjust the position of the throttle. Loosen the mount and rotate it age move it closer or further from the grip, to a more comfortable position. Not everyone's hand is the same, so it's got to be positioned properly for the primary rider. 99% of the time, this will almost eliminate throttle thumb. Usually zero need for an extender.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27” Reptiles, 1” wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
379 Posts
^ x’s 2.
I tried a “thumb buddy” and it lasted 10 min into a ride before I ripped it off. The Kodiak throttle has like 65 deg of motion. Making it longer means you need 12” thumbs... lol
I pushed the throttle controller closer to the grip, and rotated it down a little. Makes a more natural motion, less fatigue.

·
Super Moderator
959 Posts
Yup, i was taught this by an old school motorcycle dude. Said he was so used to the twist grips and got this old thumb controlled bike one time, said about 40 min into a ride on highway, his hand would go numb, never happened to him before. Said he eas actually slapping his hand on the bar while coasting to get some feeling in it and it moved the throttle down some as it was a bit loose. He said it felt better age didn't get numb as fast, so when he pulled in for gas, he borrowed a couple tools at the station and adjusted it a bit more. 4 hrs later he still had no throttle thumb.

·
Grizzled Mod
348 Posts
I'm also a huge proponent of moving around the controls in the control box area to suit the rider. I have always done that on my two Grizzlys and all of my MTBs. However, I still had issues with throttle thumb pain. I then went with a Rox riser setup to use my own choice of MX handlebars to find a suitable rise and sweep. That helped a lot but I've still found the Yamaha throttle to have a lot of pressure. I recently went to an Urmosi aftermarket thumb throttle which provides for lots of adjustments, so far so good but I've yet to get out on a long trail ride to know for sure. The Urmosi is great as there are three tool-less settings I can switch to during the day and the action is superior to the Yamaha throttle which means less pressure on the thumb. I've, unfortunately, jammed my thumb a number of times ATVing and MTBing, so throttle thumb pain was a factor for me and I needed to do something about it. It cost me some $$ but I like where things are now.

·
Registered
390 Posts
It makes your throttle stick out too far, when standing and going over things, you just may hit it with your hip or stomach. Which can get bad very fast

·
Registered
766 Posts
I bought a kolpin brand extender. Haven't used it yet and won't until I absolutely need to because of pain. I had multiple fractures in my right thumb in an industrial accident in 2006. It will never be 100% but so far, it hasn't been an issue while riding other than my thumb freezes up on me in winter.

·
Super Moderator
959 Posts
I bought a kolpin brand extender. Haven't used it yet and won't until I absolutely need to because of pain. I had multiple fractures in my right thumb in an industrial accident in 2006. It will never be 100% but so far, it hasn't been an issue while riding other than my thumb freezes up on me in winter.
Ouch. I can only imagine the pain, after seeing what my dad went through for years after putting a table saw blade through his index finger knuckle.
Sounds like you have your throttle positioned perfectly. Unfortunately that won't help for the freezing part, that's just damaged nerve endings, and that's really sucks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I cant really get a good position on the throttle leveler i have tried to turn it but not comfortable.any ideas.

·
Registered
361 Posts
If you have a base model you can get a Urmosi throttle. They only work with the base model. I guess it has a bunch of adjustments to get it comfortable..

·
Registered
361 Posts
Base Model- the cheapest version of the Kodiak, the reason it will only work with the base model is there isn't any switches on the throttle housing..

·
Registered
361 Posts
You could get one and play around with it, what do you have to lose. The problem I would have is ,I don't trust my welds and it would break at the worst time..

·
Grizzled Mod
348 Posts
If you have a base model you can get a Urmosi throttle. They only work with the base model.
Not exactly true.

@Barbarossa It can be made to work and the adjustment capability is light years ahead of the OEM throttle. It will end up costing about $300 US when all said and done but it was WELL worth the cost for me. I would always end up with pretty significant thumb pain, mainly because of years of getting my right thumb jammed from MTBing and ATVing. The Urmosi throttle adjustments allow me to do all day rides for a week and not end up with a sore thumb, which previously was causing a lot of uncomfortableness during rides. The Urmosi throttle is VERY well designed and VERY well made.

Here are all of the parts needed to make it work:

Urmosi Original Edition ATV Throttles

You will need this Motion Pro Relocation 4x4 Plate - Motion Pro 4x4 Switch Relocation Plate for 08-21 Yamaha GRIZZLY7E

And then finally, Axia Alloys makes a mount and a clamp that works well for all of this. I purchased mine from 4wheelparts.com as amazon didn't have the mount at the time.

Axia Alloys MODUN2-BK Universal Mount 2 6mm Female Threads- Black - this is actually only the mount even though it also shows a clamp (not included)

Axia Alloys MODCL.875-BK 0.875" Cage Strap Clamp- Black

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Automotive lighting Steering part Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
70 Posts
Not exactly true.

@Barbarossa It can be made to work and the adjustment capability is light years ahead of the OEM throttle. It will end up costing about $300 US when all said and done but it was WELL worth the cost for me. I would always end up with pretty significant thumb pain, mainly because of years of getting my right thumb jammed from MTBing and ATVing. The Urmosi throttle adjustments allow me to do all day rides for a week and not end up with a sore thumb, which previously was causing a lot of uncomfortableness during rides. The Urmosi throttle is VERY well designed and VERY well made.

Here are all of the parts needed to make it work:

Urmosi Original Edition ATV Throttles

You will need this Motion Pro Relocation 4x4 Plate - Motion Pro 4x4 Switch Relocation Plate for 08-21 Yamaha GRIZZLY7E

And then finally, Axia Alloys makes a mount and a clamp that works well for all of this. I purchased mine from 4wheelparts.com as amazon didn't have the mount at the time.

Axia Alloys MODUN2-BK Universal Mount 2 6mm Female Threads- Black - this is actually only the mount even though it also shows a clamp (not included)

Axia Alloys MODCL.875-BK 0.875" Cage Strap Clamp- Black

View attachment 10993

View attachment 10994
Where in europe can i buy urmosi?

·
Grizzled Mod
348 Posts
Where in europe can i buy urmosi?
You will need to contact Urmosi himself and ask but his website says "ships worldwide"

And does the throttle leveler fit from kodiak 450
I don't know specifically that it will fit on your 450 but all a throttle is is a pivoting lever that pulls on a cable, cable runs inside cable housing, and is pretty universal. There is a fitment document on his webpage so maybe that will help but just know that he does not list the Grizzly 700 with EPS on there and it works on mine and a couple other Grizzly 700 EPS owners I know of. When you look at the parts break-down for a 2018 Kodiak 450, the throttle assembly looks like a standard cable pull lever just like on all of Yamaha's ATVs.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts