Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody done a throttle conversion to motorcycle twist grip? I've found the Motion Pro, Moose Racing Gasser ($$$), and Kolpin Handy Throttle. I've seen the Coleman throttle extender also, but that's not what I'm looking for. I've ridden motorcycle for 40 years, and it just seems natural. I don't know why somebody thought they needed to re-invent the throttle control on an ATV, and then pick the thumb throttle?

·
Registered
155 Posts
The only person I know that put a twist throttle on his 4wheeler didn't have it on too long and went back to the thumb throttle.

Never tried one with a twist on it, but coming from motorcycles all my life it was an odd one for me the first few times I rode my 4wheeler.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I think the reason for the thumb throttle is due to the handlebar position when making some turns. You can't lean into the turn with an atv so you use the full motion of the bars. I know when I'm cranking it to the right I end up using my index finger to work the throttle because the angle makes it a challenge to use my thumb.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Some, though not many, do ride with twist throttles and love them.... I'll be looking into it if past thumb ingeries keep getting worse with age.

·
Registered
320 Posts
After riding and racing motorcycles for many years I too found the thumb throttle strange at first and considered a twist throttle. I never got around to it and eventually got use to the thumb throttle and haven’t even considered switching anymore.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I've had my right thumb crushed and reconstructed. I do find it bothers me on long trips and during cold days on the bike. I can foresee myself looking into a twist at some point.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It might just be me but, I spend more time planted on the seat of my 4 wheelers than I did dirt bikes. The twist throttle may be better if that wasn't the case. The twist throttle did feel right on my street bikes where I also had alot of seat time but, I wasn't riding rough terrain either.
I did alot of snow machine riding in my younger years and was introduced to the thumb throttles then.
Think I'll stick with the thumber.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I've had my right thumb crushed and reconstructed. I do find it bothers me on long trips and during cold days on the bike. I can foresee myself looking into a twist at some point.
If you find your thumb bothers you, they do sell throttle extension for 20$ that help take alot of the agony out. I used one for six months after a bad thumb ingery and now have lent it to my neighbour for the same reasons.

Though I no longer use my extension, my thumb still gets soar. I've since rotated my throttle down wards alot compare to the stock placement and found it helps me alot. HTH

·
Registered
341 Posts
A twist throttle may hurt your wrist when you ride aggressive.
I prefer thumb, but try it.

Just hang onto the thumb throttle in case you change your mind.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I've never really felt thumb fatigue riding my Kodiak. I'm not sure if it's Yamaha's thumb trigger or my grip strength that's the reason. I work with my hands and probably have a stronger grip than most so it's likely the reason but I wonder if riding another machine would make a difference.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I've never really felt thumb fatigue riding my Kodiak. I'm not sure if it's Yamaha's thumb trigger or my grip strength that's the reason. I work with my hands and probably have a stronger grip than most so it's likely the reason but I wonder if riding another machine would make a difference.
I'm an industrial mechanical by trade and personal home mechanic. Can't imagine anyone working anymore with their hands then me! Lol

That said, vibrations from grinders, Jack hammers, impacts, working in brutally cold temperatures, many busted knuckles, and hand injuries have taken their toll on my hands and thumbs over the years .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts