Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my neighbor, young 20s male, has a 14' 700 grizz. 26" bugs, fairing, back seat, 100 lb girlfriend, stock bike.
Has been bugging me to run him. how he cant wait to run me after my bike is broke in and bragging about how hes gonna fly by the kodiak...
my bike, almost 27hrs on it, 27" bugs, fairing, stock, no backseat n gurly...
The challenge was... he said, "when we pull out on the pavement we will run them to our rd. you pull out first cause im gonna pass u going up the hill." we were at the bottom.
(the hill paved approx. 3/4 mile rd up fairly steep incline where it peaked and down other side was steeper then up)
well im thinking I got this... hes got his girlfriend on too.
when I straightened out on rd I pinned it. I looked back and he gave me about a 50' lead on him and pinned it too...
approx. 1/3 way up the hill I could tell he was gaining on me, as we reached the crest he was starting to get pretty dam close... when we went over the crest he was on my *** hard... started down the other side, I pulled away so hard I thought he hit his breaks. then we leveled out on the flat and slowed to turn in our rd.
by the time I had to start touching breaks to pull in our rd I think he was a little further behind me then what he gave me for a start :grin2:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK. The way I see it.
grizz had me all the way up the hill. gained all the time pulling heavier load. BUT. when we reached the top of the hill the grizz was DONE. reached his peek at the crest and had nothing left. Kodiak pushed down the hill and was able to pull away from the heavier grizzly :grin2:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yea, if you are using 27" bug's I'd change clutch weights to 18 gr, and add 1.50mm shims and a purple secondary spring, and then you wouldn't need a head start at all.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
with those mods how much would that affect my top end?
buddy said he hit 106klm coming down hill (26' bugs)
I only registered 99klm (27"bugs) on speedo pulling away from him.
How fast was I going? lol

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes thanks link but with 27" tires my speedo will be slower then actual speed. bike would be going faster then speedo states.
will need a gps I guess... but I don't need to know that bad either lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts