Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
I guess it's my turn to add to this discussion.

I bought two base 700's in Sept 2016. Both have been super machines. I changed the engine oil at 20 and then every 100 hours. I use Yamaha 10w40 oil. Both ATV's start on the 2nd try and run like champs in all weather. It gets very cold here in January and the one I plow with has never let me down for the past 2 long and snowy winters. I have a LOT of plow time on my camo machine!

The 708 engines seem pretty darn good. For whatever reason Yamaha did make the switch....it really doesn't mean anything to me...my machines have the 708 and I don't have any reason to dislike that fact.

FWIW, all manufactures have some units that fail to perform as planned. I had a 2012 Honda Pilot that had over $7K of driveline work needed at less than 60K miles. I did have an extended warranty that paid for it all, then I traded it on a 2018 Tacoma TRD Off-Road truck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
"Buckmaster"

Nice to hear about your good experice with your 2 2016 Kodiaks. Information of this type, I would say, is as importanat as reports and theories about common and rare issues.

I anyway hope tha we can keep this discussion/thread living to report facts and rumers about this 708 engine as time passes by...
At least it is important for us that are "stucked" with machines with this engine, how to minimice potential problems.

Today I will start to install my electrical block heater...separate report will come from that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I guess it's my turn to add to this discussion.

I bought two base 700's in Sept 2016. Both have been super machines. I changed the engine oil at 20 and then every 100 hours. I use Yamaha 10w40 oil. Both ATV's start on the 2nd try and run like champs in all weather. It gets very cold here in January and the one I plow with has never let me down for the past 2 long and snowy winters. I have a LOT of plow time on my camo machine!

The 708 engines seem pretty darn good. For whatever reason Yamaha did make the switch....it really doesn't mean anything to me...my machines have the 708 and I don't have any reason to dislike that fact.

FWIW, all manufactures have some units that fail to perform as planned. I had a 2012 Honda Pilot that had over $7K of driveline work needed at less than 60K miles. I did have an extended warranty that paid for it all, then I traded it on a 2018 Tacoma TRD Off-Road truck.

How many miles do ya have on your Kodiaks? Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
86 Posts
"Buckmaster"

Nice to hear about your good experice with your 2 2016 Kodiaks. Information of this type, I would say, is as importanat as reports and theories about common and rare issues.

I anyway hope tha we can keep this discussion/thread living to report facts and rumers about this 708 engine as time passes by...
At least it is important for us that are "stucked" with machines with this engine, how to minimice potential problems.

Today I will start to install my electrical block heater...separate report will come from that.
How many miles do ya have on your Kodiaks? Thanks for the input!

Well...I think I misspoke about the hours per oil change.

I have 50 hours on the Green Base Kodiak 700, and 59.4 hours on the Camo Base 700. I installed Yamaha hours meters when they were new (within about 2 hours of new actually). The hours meter on the Camo is flashing a message to change the oil in .6 hours. That reminded me that the oil change message appears every 20 hours. That makes sense as this will be the 4th oil change for this machine because I changed it at 10 hours and again at 20 and 40. I checked my manual to see what I wrote each time.

I don't know how to compare the hours to miles, especially because I plow with the camo 700.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi gentlemen,

I purchased a 16 kodiak 2/16. For a year and a half, it was absolutely perfect. Then I had the dealer pick it up for an oil change. As soon as I got it back, it started smoking like a mofo. The dealer said that it was valve guide seals. it took them exactly 4 weeks to get parts and make repairs. I went to pick it up and it was still smoking before it even made it to my truck. The tech told me that it was probably residual and would burn off. NOPE!... got worse. After going round and round, we came to an agreement and I ended up purchasing an 18 eps se. I did not want a bike that had been taken apart several times. I was talking to one of the techs when they were doing the paperwork and he told me that yamaha took over production of the 708 in 17 and all of the bugs have been worked out. Truth or BS? Has anyone heard of these issues in the 18's? I lost out on about 2k on my last kodiak and don't want to do it again. My new one has 0 miles on the odo as the just dropped it off yesterday and I haven't even ridden it yet. I didn't know that yamaha was going back to the 686 until after I signed the deal (the dealer neglected to mention that) and I don't know if I should keep it or try to get them to take it back. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
447 Posts
I am not sure you can believe anything you hear from most sources. Yamaha denied for a long time, even made us feel ignorant when we talked about the 708 Kodiak killing every cold start below 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Now they admit it freely, so your new one will kill when started if it is cold, my 18 does. Lots of guys have one of these and love it. I think they have the best transmission, and that is important.

My 2016 708 Kodiak had the compression spring issue, and the dealer fixed it, and it ran much better when he got done. I then had a starter issue and it needed a new starter, but I sold it to a handy guy and I told him it might be far more serious than the starter, he took a chance and that solved the problem I had, with hard starting.

I did like the power steering upgrade, that is nice! I have no idea if you should keep it, or upgrade to the 19, but the price is what helped me go with the 18

·
Registered
342 Posts
My 2018 engine did die a couple times during breakin.
Once I got over a hundred miles on it plus using a PCV the only time it dies is at cold startup.
The bike has been great, and I've been very happy with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well... I'm going to keep it. I have a 48 month extended warranty and my fingers crossed. Thanks for the input fellas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 708cc is doing awesome and on Facebook on the (Yamaha Grizzly Owners Club) (1) I ask (Travis Hollins ) is ATV/ SxS Product Planning Manager at Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA )why did Yamaha go back to the 686cc "(Travis Hollins) Basically a business decision, the 19 grizzly with larger tires and lower gear ratio is basically the same as Viking, we discontinued the Wolverine 708 so we would have had two very similar engines but different. Keeping them the same reduces costs and inventory headaches. Also We felt the improvements to the 686 power character gave the 19 grizzly a little “sportier” flavor than the 708 which we liked." (2) I ask (Travis Hollins )why do they say Yamaha did not make the 708cc ?(Travis Hollins ) "It is a Yamaha" (3) (Yamaha Kodiak 700 Group) "David Akeya We have 16 kodi at 15112 miles"

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here is the bells and whistles.... If you get the new 2019 Kodiak 700 with that wonderful new bike smell and gorgeous 686CC SOHC 4 stroke engine. Lots of power! My daughter road it for 3 total minutes after they un-crated and pumped the tires up in Yamaha's parking lot (Real small parking lot). Yeah it took them 2 hours to un-crate and get it ready. We brought this beautiful base model home of course the display is less than needed. You need a heat sensor and some lights on the dash other than neutral light. My daughter went to work at a local dealership for cars. When she came home after dark we pulled it out the shed. The Yamaha dealership had been closed for 4 hours. Little cool here under 40 degrees. We took it to the top field No mud no snow no ruts we did not turn the lights on. Road it for 3 minutes to the top field cut it off for a few minutes (5 minutes) Got to the drive way 3 minutes again, my daughter says it seams a little hot. Yeah the manifold pipe was glowing red. I could understand it if we let it set and idle for 10 minutes no we did not! Okay we took it cross the road said maybe it is air cooled at a higher speed. (I do not suggest this for anyone just purchasing a new 2019 kodiak 700) She road it for 8 more minutes this time at 15 to 20 mph open field. Manifold is a problem!!! (Espcially when under a FULL Fuel Tank.) I think we have a 3 day lemon deal in this state and I intend to use that in a court of law if necessary. It's a women thing. I hate being taken advantage of and I should have read all the Grizzly 700 stories first! You live and learn. Treat others as you wish to be treated.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Here is the bells and whistles.... If you get the new 2019 Kodiak 700 with that wonderful new bike smell and gorgeous 686CC SOHC 4 stroke engine. Lots of power! My daughter road it for 3 total minutes after they un-crated and pumped the tires up in Yamaha's parking lot (Real small parking lot). Yeah it took them 2 hours to un-crate and get it ready. We brought this beautiful base model home of course the display is less than needed. You need a heat sensor and some lights on the dash other than neutral light. My daughter went to work at a local dealership for cars. When she came home after dark we pulled it out the shed. The Yamaha dealership had been closed for 4 hours. Little cool here under 40 degrees. We took it to the top field No mud no snow no ruts we did not turn the lights on. Road it for 3 minutes to the top field cut it off for a few minutes (5 minutes) Got to the drive way 3 minutes again, my daughter says it seams a little hot. Yeah the manifold pipe was glowing red. I could understand it if we let it set and idle for 10 minutes no we did not! Okay we took it cross the road said maybe it is air cooled at a higher speed. (I do not suggest this for anyone just purchasing a new 2019 kodiak 700) She road it for 8 more minutes this time at 15 to 20 mph open field. Manifold is a problem!!! (Espcially when under a FULL Fuel Tank.) I think we have a 3 day lemon deal in this state and I intend to use that in a court of law if necessary. It's a women thing. I hate being taken advantage of and I should have read all the Grizzly 700 stories first! You live and learn. Treat others as you wish to be treated.
Glowing headers, don't nessassarly mean anything is wrong. My old Grizzly 550 and my buddies 700 glows the headers just cruising around! The newer generations 708 and 686 are even leaner running engines and are more prone to it.. Most simply install a fuel programmer and ride on.

·
Super Moderator
1,057 Posts
I would just have the dealer take a look at it and they should take care of it, things happen.

On the lights on the base model, you get what you pay for. There is a coolant temperature warning light that should of lit up if there was a problem and then the other basic lights which all you really need unless you like to see what is going on. But even the higher end models do not have what I would consider a proper gauge set up.

Yamaha strips these base models down to the bare minimum. If you have had other ATV's you will quickly see that there are a few other things that you might be accustomed to that are missing on the base model. But then you also pay quite a bit less for the base model than you do for the others.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts