Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
There isn't enough difference between a 686cc engine and a 708cc to make any difference.

It is all in the programing and what else they do to the engines.

·
Registered
106 Posts
It seems odd to me that they would go away from the 708cc back to the 686cc blocks. Knock on wood I've had pretty good luck with mine granted I don't have a million miles on mine yet but I would like to try.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think Yamaha needs to clear the air on this engine swap. My dealer has told me this is not a Subaru Motor for over a year. Now people are saying the contract with Subaru expired. ??? I always thought Yamaha was a Motor company and built their own Motors. It makes no sense to go back to the 686cc SOHC 2 valve motor unless A. They had problems with 708cc DOHC 4 valve motor or B. They had issues with Subaru or some other supplier. Either way Yamaha should give a reason for the step backwards in engines.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I think Yamaha needs to clear the air on this engine swap. My dealer has told me this is not a Subaru Motor for over a year. Now people are saying the contract with Subaru expired. ??? I always thought Yamaha was a Motor company and built their own Motors. It makes no sense to go back to the 686cc SOHC 2 valve motor unless A. They had problems with 708cc DOHC 4 valve motor or B. They had issues with Subaru or some other supplier. Either way Yamaha should give a reason for the step backwards in engines.
It is my understanding that Yamaha completed the purchase of FUJI from Subaru in October of this year. Fuji is the company that builds the 708. So with Yamaha now having sole ownership, why would they step backward from the 708 after only 3 yrs? Like I said, it sets off alarm bells for me and yes, they do need to clear the air.

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
You will never find out the actual reasons for the swap. That is unless you have a uncle that has a job in the Yamaha engineering department or own 51% of their stock.

It could be something as simple as a contract running out with Subaru wanting more money to manufacture the motor and Yamaha not wanting to pay it. It could have something to do with the warranty that Subaru places on the engines that Yamaha wants them to pay for.

All you are going to hear is speculation along with a lot of guessing but no actual facts.

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
That is entirely possible. Look at what Ford did when the 7.3 diesel couldn't comply with CARB so between them and Navistar they switched to the 6.0 diesel engine with Fords programing and it was downhill from then on until Ford started to build the 6.7 in house.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
One explanation I read on another forum is that they are doing it is that the 708 is not CARB compliant.
We all need to keep our eyes open on this and see what is the same as the old 686 and what is new on this so called new 686 engine, I'm thinking its the same 686 that's in the 2018 Viking.
I also own a 2005' Raptor with the 686 and that is one strong engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Maybe since the new wolverine x2 has the 850 twin now it doesn't make financial sense to keep producing the 708 for just the kodiak and the grizzly so they're only gonna have two engines? To keep cost down. 686 and 850 twin and then maybe implement the 850 into the bikes later on? Who knows lol . I'm def keeping the 708 wether it be just as a back up bike or for the wife. and if they bring out a 850 twin I'm all over that!

·
Registered
699 Posts
All 686s are SOHC 4 valve engines.

·
Registered
2 Posts
All 686s are SOHC 4 valve engines.
Good catch Vincent. My Bad - I meant 686 SOHC 4 valve engine. Still not sure about change from the 708cc DOHC. I had to replace my starter at 400 miles. No charge it was under warranty. Other than that no problems. My dealer said they could be going back to 686 for reliability problems or its just a cost cutting measure. Not sure we will ever find out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A friend that manages a Yamaha/Suzuki dealer in our area recently told me they have WAY more issues, in general, with the 708cc in the Wolverine than they do the 686cc in the Viking. He told me if he had to pick between the two units, he'd pick the Viking all day...every day just because he knows he won't have engine related issues from the Viking. When I asked him if Suzuki King Quads have the lean issues like the 708cc powered units Yamaha have, he told me not from what they've seen. Stinkin' emissions...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts