Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my 1st "brand new" purchase. All past quads have been bought used. Is it normal for smoke to come from tail pipe after shutting off? I have not even taken it out yet, just up and down the driveway twice and then let idle for about 5 minutes. After I shut it off, had smoke from tail pipe. I believe it may be just all the "new" crap burning off, but not sure. Engine has maybe 15 minutes on it and only smoked after shutting off.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mark,

I just purchased my 700 2 weeks ago and it did that at the dealer after riding it their and they told me that is some lubrication they put in them while they are on the floor and that it will burn off. It also smelt terrible. I got home and rode mine about 3 miles and still did it, took about 10 miles for it to stop doing that. Now nothing. Im sure if im wrong about what it is someone will chime in but i would not be worried.

·
Super Moderator
1,227 Posts
You have to figure that there is oil, grease, and paint that needs to get burnt off of the surfaces and until that gets done it is going to smoke and smell bad.

I haven't bought a new vehicle that didn't do this for at least a little while.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Congrats on your new ride!
It's normal. It'll burn off after a few miles like others have indicated.
Make sure you take it moderate and keep the throttle moving for the break in period.

It's very important to replace the first oils and oil filter very soon per owners manual.
It is the dirtiest oil do to assembly lube, metal shavings from new cylinder walls, and stuff that wasn't perfectly clean when assembled so you will want to get that stuff out soon!
Follow the manual's recommendation and the engine and drive line will live a nice long time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts