Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any issues when it's cold with synthetic winch rope freezing up when getting wet and not being able to unspool? I have a friend that says he has had this issue and went back to wire rope.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I haven't run into that problem yet but it finally just started being winter here so only time will tell with my synthetic rope on the front of my machine. I hope that I don't run into that problem cause that would suck!

·
Registered
632 Posts
I am going to convert to synthetic with aluminum Hawse fairlead. Which brand of rope is recommended? From what I read, Amsteel seems to be the best. Yes or no?

·
Registered
632 Posts
I am about to swap my winch over to synthetic line and Hawse fairlead.I am told Amsteel is the way to go. Opinions? Thanks

·
Registered
632 Posts
I am going to swap out my steel cable for synthetic and I am told Amsteel is the way to go. Opinions?thanks

·
Registered
632 Posts
Going to do the swap to synthetic after just breaking my cable a few days ago and getting multiple punctures while repairing it. OUCH!!
I am told Amsteel is the way to go. Opinions? Thanks

·
Registered
632 Posts
Going to change to a synthetic line and Hawse fairlead soon. I hear Amsteel is the way to go. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have the synthetic rope on my warn winch and I have yet to have any problems. Although if I had a steel cable already on my winch that was in good shape I don't think I would get rid of it just to get the synthetic rope. Not trying to tell you how to spend your money but that's just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Lol, my cable is not in the best of shape. Broke it last week about 18" back from the hook. Been plowing a few times and the cable took a beating. So did my hands while repairing it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I definitely don't miss the wires stabbing into my hands while using an old beat up cable that's for sure. Only time will tell how durable this synthetic rope is as I don't always baby my equipment.

·
Super Moderator
1,300 Posts
Once the wire rope stats to fray it is signs that it needs to be replaced. The only difference with the synthetic rope is that you will not get stuck with the frayed wires. It still takes inspection to tell if it is usable or needs to be replaced.

Also if you use snatch blocks and slings to go around what you are winching then the synthetic rope or wire rope will last a lot longer.

·
Super Moderator
1,300 Posts
I've gone with a larger roller on my lower roller to help eliminate the cable fraying. But then on my old 2000 Kodiak I plowed with it for over 12 years before the cable broke. I just wove another eye into it and carried on, now going on 8 years with no problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just read the other day that if you switch from cable to rope to make sure your drum is reinforced because the rope wraps tighter and can crush you drum.

·
Registered
632 Posts
That is why I prefer a steel drum winch. For plowing ,I use a 10 ft length of boat winch strap in lieu of cable or rope. Outside of that, I use Amsteel blue 3/16" synthetic rope.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts