Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Want to share a story with you guys.

Went for a short ride with a buddy this week. Stopped the bike just a few hundred feet from my home. Came to start the bike back up. Wouldn't start! Nothing but relay buzz. Battery had mistiriously just died. My buddy towed me the short distance home. Get home check the battery posts, they were on solid. Check the battery with my multimeter, only showing 11.5 volts. Boost the bike with another battery, bike starts right up. Let it run with the booster battery for a minute, then disconnected it. While the bike still running I checked for voltage across my bike's battery posts. Only showing 12.3v instead of 14+ volts! Obviously the charging system isn't working. Couldn't do much more as I had to go in for a nightshift. Next day I checked all my fuses. They were good. Start looking threw my Yamaha service manual on my phone. Read the troubleshooting guides and electrical schematic for my bikes charging system. Found the voltage regulator / rectifier. Unplugged the red and black wire plug that leads to the ground and battery.
Ground tests good , and I get 12.5v battery voltage from the red wire. Motor to ground checks good as well. Unplugged the 3 white wire stator plug form the voltage regulator. Check ohms across all three stator phase wires. On spec for my 09 Grizzly is 0.108 to 0.132 ohms. I'm showing 0.4 ohms. Out of spec! Borrowed my dad's multimeter, same thing. Did some more research. Learned two other stator testing methods on YouTube. One is to check for continuity from each phase to ground. Yup all three are grounded witch is obviously bad. Start the bike check for voltage between all three phase. Should be about 20 volts on idle. Nothing, zero voltage. My stator completely fried!

New stator and gaskets on order. I have a big 6 day riding adventure coming up in less then a month, I can believe this failure happened so close to home and just in time so I could diagnos and solve the problem! Got lucky in my misfortune.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My stator fried because a support bracket wore threw the wire covers and grounded the stator phazes.

Attachments

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agree 100%, very lucky it happened a few hundred feet from home

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Both stator and voltage regulator were fried. All replaced with OEM Yamaha. Pricey as ****, and I did all my own troubleshooting / labour. Took 5 hrs to change the stator. Picture says it all.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,228 Posts
Glad that you got it taken care of.

Did you have any kind of warning at all? I know that you said that it just wouldn't start after a short ride.

This is where I like my aftermarket gauge set up where I can see the charging voltage and perhaps head off a bad situation.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, signs what's so ever.

Yes a volt gauge would have been an excellent add on that day.

·
Registered
21 Posts
interesting... my 2016 just did the same thing. I was a bit shocked and assumed the battery was dead because I beat the heck out of this machine. Now, I need to go back and do some tshoot. Thanks for the post!

·
Registered
472 Posts
I had a starter fail in my 2016 700 at about 50 hours, it took me a while to diagnose it, as I had some other issues with the decompression spring and I thought it was to much compression to turn over. A new starter solved it. Only had a short warranty and that had expired. Good job on the diagnosis!

·
Registered
35 Posts
My 2016 started and ran fine last night. Went to start this morning and it tried turning over but then started buzzing when pressing the starter. Is this a sign of a low/dead battery or a starter issue? Or both?
Thanks
Jon

·
Super Moderator
1,228 Posts
I'd start with the battery

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My 2016 started and ran fine last night. Went to start this morning and it tried turning over but then started buzzing when pressing the starter. Is this a sign of a low/dead battery or a starter issue? Or both?
Thanks
Jon
No way of knowing until you do a proper tests to diagnos the problem.

Are your battery posts solid and Clean? Did you charge your battery? Did it start after you charged it? Does it hold 12.5 V? Did try and boost it, and if so did it start ? Does it keep running after its been boosted? When running does it show 14+ Volts at the battery posts? Etc....

Could be as simple as a loose connection or you just need a new battery BUT I wouldn't just go out and buy one until I was 100% that was my issue.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I jumped it with a battery charger and it started. Currently trickle charging it. See how that goes. Glad I found out now rather than when there’s 12” of snow on my 1/4 mile driveway. 3.5 years good life for a tab battery?

·
Super Moderator
1,228 Posts
You never know how long a battery is going to last.

The one in my 2000 Kodiak lasted 17 years and then the day that I sold it it gave the low voltage clicking alarm.

I guess that it didn't want to leave me.

Reactions: Vincent

·
Registered
293 Posts
Heck yea on diagnosing it your self. Ive had to use a multimeter so much with fixing my old pickup, its pretty **** interesting to see how all that works.

I hope my battery lasts for 100 years lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts