Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to change diff fluid, and as I tighten the drain bolt it just continues to spin. Which began to make me mad.

With a little research I found that if the threads in the diff are stripped, it's only the bottom few threads. So by getting a longer Bolt, and grinding it down to 14 mm long, the drain bolt will actually reach the rest of the threads.

about $2 plus having a grinder, fixed my problem

I just wanted to share that with people, in case you're in an emergency. I've seen people mentioned gold drain plugs being a smart choice. I say if you're trying to save a dollar this is an alternative.

10x1.25 thread.
14 mm long
Auto part Automotive wheel system Wheel

Super Moderator
Looks like you lucked out with being able to place a longer bolt into the hole to seal it off.

The way that my luck is I would be drilling it out to put in a larger plug or a insert.

Did it give you any indication of a problem when you were screwing in the old plug? I know that when I am screwing anything into a aluminum housing I am real leery of something happening. I once stripped out a exhaust stud on the back of a VW's head where I had to pull the head back off to work with it.

Reactions: rancherMike

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No real indication of a problem, came out nice and smooth. I really didnt have to put much force into and it was spinning.

I have changed my diff fluid alot because of getting water into it from failed seals. So im sure it wasnt torqued perfectly each time, which ended up as the aluminum threads failing. only about 4 threads

I do feel lucky, I thought the 10 minute job of changing diff fluid was about to turn into a huge project.

Super Moderator
The hardest thing that you would of had to of done was to stand it up on the rear so that you could access the drain hole with a drill. Then placing a helli-coil or tapping it out wouldn't of been too bad.

But none the less it is a good thing that you didn't have to go that route.

Reactions: Jssrvlz
1 - 4 of 4 Posts