Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to stiffen up the rear of my '16 700 Kodiak, it currently doesn't have the adjustable rear shocks. I've thought about buying factory adjustables off a 700 Kodiak or Grizzly or aftermarket ones and curious if the Grizzly ones will fit or if anyone has any suggestions on an inexpensive way to stiffen up the rear. Any info is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
342 Posts
If your on a budget try to find some takeoff's.
As a note I adjusted the back ones at one notch below max just to get the rear suspension to have full travel, and the front ones are maxed out with a small winch on it to get full travel.

If you have the extra funds it seems like you can't beat Elka.
I have my eye on them, but the funds just aren't there...too many other projects going on right now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just managed to win an auction on ebay for a set of rear adjustable factory take offs from a 2016 700 Grizzly. Not sure what they go for typically but got them for $140 Cad to my door which doesn't seem too bad to me, considering i found many used that had the "buy it now" option that would have costs me more after shipping.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some of those aftermarket ones are nice but more than i would likely ever need. I just wanted something stiffer for when my wife is with me, minimize rear squatting and me forgetting i can't clear rocks in the back i normally could, plus i find it leans more than i like when cornering at speed so hoping it helps remedy that a bit.

·
Registered
342 Posts
The way I adjust them is to keep adding until the quad or bike can't be lifted up by hand. Another words eliminating the sag in the suspension. Any more than that and the ride can get harsh unless it's really loaded down with weight.
Congrats on the great purchase. **** good deal!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll likely try to leave it fairly stiff, i do like how smooth it is over bumps at speed but i find myself wishing it was stiffer fairly often. Plus i came from an '89 trx 350 with the straight axles front and rear, so i'm fairly accustomed to rough lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Guys ,Just joined the forum today,I have a question on shocks,maybe someone can help me out. I bought a set of 16 grizzly shocks for my 700 Kodiak .my shocks weren't adjustable.I got the shock but they seem 2 inches to big,I cant get thm on,I even took the sway bar off and the still won't fit.Do I have to compress them to get them to work or did I buy the wrong shocks,Thanks

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hey Guys ,Just joined the forum today,I have a question on shocks,maybe someone can help me out. I bought a set of 16 grizzly shocks for my 700 Kodiak .my shocks weren't adjustable.I got the shock but they seem 2 inches to big,I cant get thm on,I even took the sway bar off and the still won't fit.Do I have to compress them to get them to work or did I buy the wrong shocks,Thanks
From what I know the Grizzly is wider, longer A arms, that means probably it has longer shocks. The 2014-2015 year Grizzly was the same frame size like the 2016+ Kodiaks but not sure if shocks were the same. Just to make sure go on line and some web sites ( like partzilla ) will tell you cross fitment for a particular part.
@Gorenis got those shocks, maybe he has some comment about fitment. I was going to ask if the 2-up ride has improved, I experience the same sagging when riding with a passenger...

·
Registered
3 Posts
i put elka stage 4 on mine, we go pretty hard on trails. took stock set up to HMT last spring, got bucked over the bars pretty hard. went back in the fall with new elka set up. i can ride as hard as i care too now, no more getting bucked. they have some sweet deals, i paid 1200 for demo model fully guaranteed. if you're just putting around any upgrade beats stock set up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Has anyone installed these High-lifter - high capacity springs?
They look good, was wondering about the ease of installation and performance?
Thank you for any input.
Regards, Jerry Waddell

·
Registered
627 Posts
07-13 grizzly is dimensionally close to the Kodiak 700. Their skid plates are interchangable so they may take the same shock length. Just guessing on that btw.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I think my springs are starting to soften up a little. I bottomed out a couple times on my last ride and I don't remember ever hitting bottom before. Maybe it was that calzone I ate. It makes sense that they may soften some and I do have adjustable shocks but I didn't find the adjusting wrench in the tool bag. Does it normally come with the atv or is it something to buy separately.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I seem to remember reading in the owners manual that the adjustment tool for the shock springs is something extra you need to buy at the dealer. I have found that a very large pair of channel-lock pliers works just fine. I use them to adjust my front springs up one notch stiffer every winter when I put my snow plow on to compensate for the extra weight of the plow.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Thank you! I was thinking about using a channel lock after looking at it but I wanted to make sure I wasn't just overlooking the adjusting wrench.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts