Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27” Reptiles, 1” wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having some steering issues with my 2019 Kodiak 700 SE EPS. Let me start with a little background.
My new machine drive SO terrible, I could hardly keep it on the trail. When I asked about it here, the answer was unanimously TIRES! Lol! So I upgraded the rubber to 27” Reptiles.
True to your recommendations, it will generally turn now. And it is much more stable, not tipping over.
The next (continued?) issue has to do with steering input, and being twitchy. Seems like the front tires were fighting themselves. I discovered I had a toe-out condition, and did my best at an eyeball alignment to get the fronts straight. Things improved, but not totally.
Now on a trail, it I’m cruising at 20 and want to move 4” left, it might jump 8” left instead. It’s just so twitchy! On my last trail ride it did just that, hit a rock, cut the sidewall, and ruined my weekend.
Since then I have found the alignment spec and dialed them in better (after getting the new tire on). Seems like driving straight, the power steering is hunting? And it I turn, it wants to TURN? I noticed sitting in the garage at idle, the voltage is 13.9-14.0. If I turn the bars, it drops to 13.0. Is that about right? Is this just the way power steering is on these? Or is mine possessed? Lol

·
Super Moderator
2,003 Posts
Can't help you much since my Kodiak is the base model with power steering by Armstrong but, the voltages are fine.

When it drops it is just the electric motor for the power steering dropping it down.

You will also notice a voltage drop when the radiator fans come on or when you use winch if you have one.

How wide of tires are you running?

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27” Reptiles, 1” wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
27-9-12 and 27-11-12
I’m going to check again that I’m really toe-in. Everything I read says this condition is classic toe-out symptoms - idk.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Get out the tape measure and use it to check your tow settings instead of eyeing it. Measure rear of tires then front and adjust. Another thing to try is unplug your PS and ride the wheeler and see how it steers.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I am also on that "Armstrong" power steering. It never lets me down.

Sounds like a shotty issue, please let us know what the final fix is :)

Reactions: JimP

·
Grizzled Mod
386 Posts
@JD864 Has it always been like this since new or did you happen to do anything like hit something hard with one of the front wheels, roll it or ???

I ask as I've put my older Grizzly upside down twice, pretty mild but both times I bent a lower a-arm where it had to be replaced.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It has always been like this. Although I hit a rock now. I don’t think anything is bent. In measuring the toe-in, it’s total between tires about 0.25” across the 13” radius of the tires. That’s within spec. Spec is 0-10mm toe-in per tire.
I might try unplugging it and see what happens. I think warranty expired last week... imagine that. Lol!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Definitely something wrong. It should naturaly want to correct itself and drive streight . You shouldn't need to fight the bars at all.

Though unlikely your problem, what's your Tire pressure at?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’m at 5 in the fronts.
When I got it, the bars were not straight. I had to do some pretty major adjusting to get it going straight when the bars were straight. I think the bars were about 1/4” left to actually go straight.
is there any adjustment or setting for the PS thinks the bars are now turned? Like, if the PS is hunting for the 0 position?

·
Registered
561 Posts
I’m at 5 in the fronts.
When I got it, the bars were not straight. I had to do some pretty major adjusting to get it going straight when the bars were straight. I think the bars were about 1/4” left to actually go straight.
is there any adjustment or setting for the PS thinks the bars are now turned? Like, if the PS is hunting for the 0 position?
You say it’s been like this from the beginning. Did you buy this new or used? If new why haven’t you taken it back to the dealer under the warranty? If used did you ask the seller about it? Like if he hit something that may have bent something?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It’s new. I don’t get to ride at home, and with the China virus, I have only ridden 4 times in 6 months. Takings steps to get it “right” - thought it was tires. Thought it was alignment. Now I’m thinking there is something else wrong.
I like the idea of unplugging the PS unit.

·
Registered
561 Posts
You should take it back to the dealership and have them fix it under the warranty then and be done with it. Especially if it needs parts.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So the dealer checked everything out, and thinks it’s all ok - just needed an alignment. I swear... I genuinely tried at home with tape measures, 2x4’s, straps, etc etc. But, they said it was still toe-out, and adjusted it to spec. Drives a lot better.
When I got it home I also added 1” spacers. That seems to have helped with the tippiness.
Today I hit some trails with a buddy on a Sportsman 570 base. We were turn-for-turn pushing it for an hour, maybe 90 min. Then he hit a tree. I felt SO bad for him...
Looks like my machine is finally up to par!
Thanks for all the thoughts on this one. It really had me frustrated.

·
Super Moderator
2,003 Posts
Glad that you got it taken care of.

But one thing, did you get a picture of your friend when he hit the tree?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Unfortunately no. The general disposition was not a picture-taking one. He has 3-5 hours on a new machine... broke a front frame piece, radiator leaking, plastics jacked up. Later he noticed the seat wasn’t clicking in.

·
Grizzled Mod
386 Posts
@JD864 Thanks for updating your thread with the fix! Always helps those doing research in the future.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts