Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Super Moderator
How long have they been that way?

If it happened since you purchased it you need to inspect all the components in the steering to see if any of it is damaged.

To adjust it without causing any other problems you need to turn each tierod the same amount to straighten them out

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Reactions: rancherMike

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How long have they been that way?

If it happened since you purchased it you need to inspect all the components in the steering to see if any of it is damaged.

To adjust it without causing any other problems you need to turn each tierod the same amount to straighten them out

It was like that when I purchased it. Did not notice until I got home

Super Moderator
I would still do a real good inspection of the steering components before adjusting anything

Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27鈥 Reptiles, 1鈥 wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
It is adjusting each wheel in and out with the tie rod. Nothing real fancy. But I have not had very good success. There are a few different methods out there. And a few here have had good success with their method.
Both of my machines were off. Seems to be a little more common than you would think.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is adjusting each wheel in and out with the tie rod. Nothing real fancy. But I have not had very good success. There are a few different methods out there. And a few here have had good success with their method.
Both of my machines were off. Seems to be a little more common than you would think.
I don鈥檛 think everyone understands. The wheels are in alignment, it鈥檚 the handlebars that are a little off from when you are sitting on it. Kinda like when your bicycle handle bars are not straight with the front wheel. You just hold it between your legs and twist it.

Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27鈥 Reptiles, 1鈥 wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
Yeah, I follow. Unlike a car, it鈥檚 still just a tie-rod adjustment. There is no reset button. So, square the bars, ratchet-strap them, and adjust until the wheels are straight again.

Registered
鈥21 700 Raceline wheels and 26s - 鈥19 450 1.5鈥 lift, 27s, Warn VRX, Monster CVs - 鈥18 450 Stock
I think what everyone is saying is you can鈥檛 adjust the handlebars, you need to adjust the wheels to match the handlebars.

Registered
I think what everyone is saying is you can鈥檛 adjust the handlebars, you need to adjust the wheels to match the handlebars.
Exactly!

Reactions: rancherMike

Registered
My 2019 grizzly was the same. The privious owner drove it since new with a crooked steering . Took me a 1/2 hr to fix it

Super Moderator
Can you tell me how? I would like to straighten them up. I鈥檓 in the military and the Army has made me anal about crap like this.
Pretty much already explained above. Put your handle bars straight, ratchet strap them in place to the rack so they can't move, then go adjust your tie rods until your wheels are straight.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
Just remember that you need to adjust both the right and left tie rods exactly the same or the tire alignment will be off.

You can also just get the front end up off of the ground and then adjust them until the handle bars are straight. I personally would do it this way since your tires will already be straight and you can just watch the handle bars move into alignment.

Registered
You can put a straight edge on the outside of the Tires, being careful to be sure you don't put your edge on a high spot on the tire. You need one on both sides, then measure the distance between the straight edge on the front compared to the back. You simply want the two tires to be parallel. You also need to be sure they point straight ahead, when the steering bars are comfortably straight.

This machine should be new, take it to the dealer.

Registered
Not quite straight - it requires a little toe-in. Otherwise it will dart around on the trail. Kinda jump a few more inches than where you aimed. This can cause you to hit things like rocks. Those rocks can cut sidewalls. And you can ruin a ride. And gouge a wheel. And ruin a brand new tire. Lol!
Watch the You Tube videos on getting it just right. The principal is simple. I struggled to find 鈥渁ligned鈥 and noticed it took more toe in than I expected.

Super Moderator
Not quite straight - it requires a little toe-in. Otherwise it will dart around on the trail. Kinda jump a few more inches than where you aimed. This can cause you to hit things like rocks. Those rocks can cut sidewalls. And you can ruin a ride. And gouge a wheel. And ruin a brand new tire. Lol!
Watch the You Tube videos on getting it just right. The principal is simple. I struggled to find 鈥渁ligned鈥 and noticed it took more toe in than I expected.
I find just the opposite, I find perfectly straight is best. I always find darting around on the trail happens with toe in and out.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Robertwav1

Registered
I can imagine weight, tire pressure, etc would make things different. Mine are now toe-in 1/4鈥 each. Seems to track good. Doesn鈥檛 help the stability though.
BTW, that鈥檚 where the dealer set it up 馃し馃徎鈥嶁檪锔
It鈥檚 an easy adjustment, but finding the spot that works was not easy for me.

Registered
My handle bars are a little off. Can anyone tell me how to align them back up?
I know you got a lot of reply's. I do mine on two of them every so often as there used almost daily. I use a long stick or straight edge aligned with the back wheel. Make sure your handlebars are straight. Now, adjust the tie rod ends so the wheels are towed in anywhere from 1/8" to 1/4" relative to the back wheel each side. Take a few minutes. Rough riding makes these go out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts