Votes: 0 0.0%
  • synthetic

Votes: 10 100.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys just bought a new 2018 kodiak SE and noticed that I have no easy way out if I get stuck on my own, so my first thought is that I need a winch.
with so many different choices out there I have selected 2 winches, one with synthetic and one with steel but I'm having trouble desciding.

the trails I normally ride are mostly sandy trails(northern Michigan) with occasional mud what would you guys recommend?

·
Super Moderator
127 Posts
No question, synthetic. Much nicer to handle and less dangerous if it breaks. Just made sure to load the line when spooling it on.

·
Super Moderator
1,308 Posts
I like steel, but then I was raised around steel cables, worked with equipment with steel cables, and know how to splice eyes into them and take care of them.

Reactions: MarshMaster

·
Super Moderator
313 Posts
Synthetic is superior except for abrasion...... But if you know how to set up lines properly for a pull, abrasion shouldn't be an issue

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
i like the synthetic for sure but learned the hard way when it froze into a ball of ice during winter riding
now its only steel...

·
Super Moderator
313 Posts
i like the synthetic for sure but learned the hard way when it froze into a ball of ice during winter riding
now its only steel...
4 years on synthetic here, not once had it ever froze up. It gets ice on it, but it flexes easier than steel so it just shatters any ice and it falls off the line.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Synthetic all the time ,been using one for about 8 years now ,no problems near had one freeze,I have been winter riding here in the (Ottawa Ontario ) and Quebec groomed winter trailers . a buddy and myself have done a lot of off trail riding we’re we might use the winch about 4 or 5 times in an afternoon ride. ,I have had one break trying to pull out a cedar hedge but that was my own fault.
A lot easier on the hands no metal slivers and tang free on wind up . I’m using one now that I bought on amazon cheap and has worked well.no issues.

Reactions: Vincent

·
Registered
13 Posts
Synthetic all the time ,been using one for about 8 years now ,no problems near had one freeze,I have been winter riding here in the (Ottawa Ontario ) and Quebec groomed winter trailers . a buddy and myself have done a lot of off trail riding we’re we might use the winch about 4 or 5 times in an afternoon ride. ,I have had one break trying to pull out a cedar hedge but that was my own fault.
A lot easier on the hands no metal slivers and tang free on wind up . I’m using one now that I bought on amazon cheap and has worked well.no issues.

using it 4 or 5 times a day will keep it from freezing up
not taking that chance again when you really need it.
but if the rope works for yall then thats great!!!
i use the synthetic rope for pulling people out or use it with the metal winch line on my winch.
the rope is just in my box loose....it still has a purpose
its nice to have both with you.
you can use a little cable and fill in with the rope...many options

·
Super Moderator
313 Posts
using it 4 or 5 times a day will keep it from freezing up
not taking that chance again when you really need it.
but if the rope works for yall then thats great!!!
i use the synthetic rope for pulling people out or use it with the metal winch line on my winch.
the rope is just in my box loose....it still has a purpose
its nice to have both with you.
you can use a little cable and fill in with the rope...many options
Number of times you use it in a day doesn't matter. At -30c and lower, any water on it will freeze in a few minutes. It just breaks free when you unspool.

Mine gets used once or twice on a ride, then the bike is parked in a portable shelter, not heated. Never once froze up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hey guys just bought a new 2018 kodiak SE and noticed that I have no easy way out if I get stuck on my own, so my first thought is that I need a winch.
with so many different choices out there I have selected 2 winches, one with synthetic and one with steel but I'm having trouble desciding.

the trails I normally ride are mostly sandy trails(northern Michigan) with occasional mud what would you guys recommend?
I have a 2019 Kodiak 700 eps and was thinking about installing a winch but after looking at the chintzy mounting brackets on frame I don’t think I will

·
Super Moderator
313 Posts
I have a 2019 Kodiak 700 eps and was thinking about installing a winch but after looking at the chintzy mounting brackets on frame I don’t think I will
There is no mounting bracket on the frame. There are bolt down locations for the winch mounting plate that you buy. You install the winch on it and then install the whole assembly into the bike. It's plenty strong. You can litterly hang the bike completely of the ground with it. It's just as strong as the mounting area on any other bike.

Reactions: Madmax

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes I know it has a separate bracket but where the bracket bolts to the frame it doesn’t look like they are that strong due to small tack welding but I could be wrong
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,308 Posts
If yours is just tack welded then I would have a question of how strong it is also. The tabs should be fully welded onto the frame, at least mine are.

The definition of a tack weld is a weld that holds something in place until it is fully welded..

Reactions: Madmax
1 - 14 of 14 Posts