Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my machine used and its dealer warranty is over so this will be up to me to figure out.

According to the manual the machine is equipped with the ability to start with the shift lever in any position: Park, Reverse, Neutral, High, and Low.

Right now it will only start in Park or Neutral. On my 2000 Kodiak if you pulled in the rear break lever you could start in any transmission position and as I mentioned according to the manual I should be able to do this on my 2016.

I am sure that if it is possible that a wire is unplugged or there is a problem with the foot pedal for the rear breaks.

So have any of you played or worked on this or do I get to go exploring when I get around to taking care of it??

Thanks.

Registered
Mine worked fine when i bought it but then wouldnt start in gear. I think it is a foot pedel issue on mine now because i noticed the other night plowing snow in the dark my brake light was not coming on when i put the foot brake on but if i used the hand brake it would light up. I would say i have a wire unhooked or something on the foot brake light switch. Maybe check and see if your brake light is coming on with the foot brake. We could have the same issue by the sounds of things

Registered
Interesting. I've not experience any issues so I would look into it. Tackle it in a process of elimination manner. I'm still learning so that's my procedure right now lol. Jmho good Luck!

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got a service and repair CD waiting for me at the post office so perhaps I'll get a look at it soon. That is if we warm up where I am at if not I'll just investigate it until spring time when I can pull the side covers off and check things out. I figure that it has to be something simple like a wire. My brake light does come on so it has to either be a separate switch or a loose or broken wire.

I'll let everyone know what I come up with once I get it figured out.

Registered
I bought mine new and when I got it home I noticed that the brake light would only come on using the front brake only. I called the dealer and the service guy told me to check the rear brake switch. I did and that was the problem I had to readjusted it and now everything works perfect. The switch is on the left rear. Look in the manual it shows where it is. Try that.. Simple fix.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info.

Just on a whim I went out to check the brake lights again. The front brake lights it up and that is what I tested it with, but both of the rear brakes don't light them up either the one on the handle bar or the foot pedal, so I have somewhere to start now.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought that I would let you all know what I found on the brake light switch the prevented me from starting the machine with the rear break applied.

The center plunger on the brake switch was stuck for some reason. I disconnected the spring that is attached to the switch and rear break on the rear end and just pulled the plunger down and let it go a couple of times. I then reattached the spring and tried it and all is well now. When it gets warmer I may spray some dry lubricant onto the switch to help it, but I believe that it is taken care of now.

Just as a side note, remember to turn the main switch off after you are done trouble shooting a electrical problem. Right now I have a battery charger on the battery after leaving the key on for a day and a half. Live and learn but you would think that a 63 year old person that has worked on vehicles for over 50 years would know better.

Registered
Glad you got it solved! Any advice is appreciated here lol

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I hate it when someone ask for help on a problem and then gets it fixed and never says a thing about what was done to fix it. They then usually disappear for a couple of years until they have another problem that they need help with.

I know that this problem was a minor one but when I also noticed that the rear brake light wasn't working when the rear brakes were applied I figured that it was something simple. But you never know.

Registered
Interesting JimP i went out after reading your post and looked at mine, very same problem that you found with yours. Thanks for posting what you found mine is all fixed now as well

1 - 10 of 10 Posts