Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just checked voltage to starter, i only have 6 volts at starter.I'm not a mechanic but i followed the positive feed from battery,it goes to i'm assuming a voltage regulator. there are two terminals there , i checked voltage at the out post to the starter and found 7 volts leaving this regulator. i checked the 2 15 amp fuses at this point and they seem to be ok. i noticed some type of fuse to the rear of the regulator (i'm calling it the regulator but not sure as i just came in from the garage and didn't have a chance to go online and get a electrical schematic of this unit).Looks like i need to replace this regulator. Am i on the right track? thanks for all the help.

Got a chance to look at the electrical schematic, what i was calling the voltage regulator is the starter relay assembly. guess i'll replace this and see what happens. any help would be appreciated. thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,228 Posts
How much voltage do you have on your battery?

When you measure the 7 volts on the starter is that with the start button pressed?

Without getting into all the cut offs and other switches in the starter system all you really have is a relay up in the main fuse box for the starter. All the other on/off/bypass/ and other switches for the starting system go to this relay so that it will either engage or not. With the relay engaged it will send the battery voltage to the starter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much voltage do you have on your battery?

When you measure the 7 volts on the starter is that with the start button pressed?

Without getting into all the cut offs and other switches in the starter system all you really have is a relay up in the main fuse box for the starter. All the other on/off/bypass/ and other switches for the starting system go to this relay so that it will either engage or not. With the relay engaged it will send the battery voltage to the starter.
i have 12.5 volts at the battery, 7 volts leaving the starter relay to the starter.im turning engine over when i measured voltage leaving relay. i also checked starter when turning engine over and had 6 volts. thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,228 Posts
Here is a simple diagram of the stating circuit. You can open it with Adobe Acrobat Reader and enlarge it if you need to.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,228 Posts
i have 12.5 volts at the battery, 7 volts leaving the starter relay to the starter.im turning engine over when i measured voltage leaving relay. i also checked starter when turning engine over and had 6 volts. thanks
I'd change out the relay

What do you have for voltage on the battery when the starter is turning over?

·
Super Moderator
1,228 Posts
Also if when you are trying to start the battery voltage drops down measured at the battery disconnect the starter or pull the relay and retest it.

It could be a battery problem

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also if when you are trying to start the battery voltage drops down measured at the battery disconnect the starter or pull the relay and retest it.

It could be a battery problem
this is a new battery , i replaced the old one thinking this problem was a bad. thanks battery

·
Super Moderator
1,228 Posts
Alright. The contacts could be bad in the relay causing it not to pass the 12 volts and enough amperage to turn the starter over.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I posted a schematic and troubleshooting guide on your original post “New Guy” from my service manual

·
Super Moderator
1,228 Posts
I just looked at what Yamaha wants for that starter relay assembly. Right around $40 from a different suppliers. But a lot cheaper on Ebay with unknown quality.

The part number is
3B4-81940-00-00

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ordered a new relay. Thanks for all the help, i'll follow up with my results.

·
Super Moderator
1,228 Posts
While you are waiting did you test the battery side of the relay for voltage?

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,228 Posts
It does sounds like the relay

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks Jim, i'll let you know how i make out.
Jim the electrical schmatic in your above posts is too small for me to read and i can't enlarge it. Would that be found on this site? I installed the new relay and didn't solve the problem. With the new relay i get about 8 volts going to the starter trying to turn the motor over. i need to look at a schematic to see where the four wires lead to or are coming from on the plug thats goes in the top of the relay. thanks for all your help.

·
Super Moderator
1,228 Posts
Here is another one. If you are opening them with Adobe Reader then you should be able to enlarge them using the + and - icons at the top of the page.

Also, all the relay does is pass the voltage that is coming into it. So if you are getting 12 volts into the relay on the terminal from the battery you should get 12 volts out of it on the lead that goes to the starter. All a relay is is a switch that is controlled electronically.

Another member is having a starting problem also and there are some other diagrams posted in that thread.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,228 Posts
One more thing that you need to check. Disconnect the lead from the relay going to the starter. Then test the terminals for voltage and see what you are getting.

You may have a bad starter that when you push the start button is going to a direct short which will draw down the battery voltage

1 - 20 of 23 Posts