Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried starting kodiak 700 today 2015. The relay buzzes. Put battery charger on it was down to 60% let it charge. Still buzzes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well got my DC volt meter out. Even after charging. Only at 12.01 volts. When starting 8.06. Needs a new battery. That's why you need a battery minder. 3 year old battery dead from sitting.

·
Super Moderator
1,239 Posts
Batteries are a crap shoot anymore weather you let them just sit or have a maintainer on them.

The one in my 2000 Kodiak 400 was still going strong when I sold in in 2017, 17 years of cold, sitting, snow plowing and whatever else. It never did fail to start the machine.

But as I type this I wonder if there is a circuit going to something electronic on these new machines that might draw some amps even when the Kodiak is turned off. I might have to do some testing.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Do a jump start right to the battery terminals, if it starts then you are likely right about the battery. If you do get it running check the charging voltage, at the battery and you should read 14 or more volts, if not you may have a charging issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I recharged battery. At rest 12.6 volts. Cranking volts 10.6. Unit started right up. Putting out 14. 68 while running has been fine since. I'm thinking maybe there is something intermittant causing it to draw down.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I think your battery is pooched. 10.6 volts while cranking on a freshly recharged battery is low

·
Registered
530 Posts
My experience with ATV's and motorcycle batteries is they have an average life span of about 3-4 years. So if your 2015 kodiak still has the original battery in it, it is probably on it's last days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts