Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 SE model. I have an SYA snorkel kit installed and tested for leaks. I replaced my factory exhaust tip to a 2R tip to help with the excessive heat in the side plastic from the exhaust. I know these machines run lean from what I’ve read and have a issue with idle stalls and low speed stalls. The stalls have become more frequent and the machine won’t start on the first attempt since the exhaust tip change. I would only stall on start up with factory tip when it was <38* outside before. So I put her in deep water over the racks almost covering the center storage compartment and she stalled within seconds of the pipe under water. I don’t believe the “it happened because it’s a single cylinder” story because the Honda’s can idle under water no issue. Any ideas on why it stalled so quick? Would getting a fuel optimizer be the fix? I love how it sounds and how much cooler it runs so I really wanna fix this. Thanks to all for any ideas/guidance.

·
Super Moderator
959 Posts
First off, you have your info mixed up. That 2r tip is going to lean your bike out way more, and is probably the majority of your problems. A tuner should def be used with that tip or any exhaust mods.
The majority of these bikes don't have low speed stall problems, only a handful of people have reported it, and it usually leads to something they have done themselves.
I have a 2018 SE, never once had it stalled on me at low speed...or any speed for that matter.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
580 Posts
I can only take a guess, and that is you got something wet or water in the intake, but the water you should be able to see. I avoid deep water, it creates to many issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response. I didn’t install the 2R to help with fuel issues, it was to relieve some “pressure” and allow the exhaust gases to flow more freely. Basically it was because the plastics got so hot that it would burn your leg on any type of lengthy ride. I have put my factory tip back on and she doesn’t stall as much on a cold start and no more low speed stalls. It will still stall though especially once winter decides to show up along as well if I let it idle for more than a few minutes as well. This rascal has done this since day one. My dealer mentioned a bulletin for these machines in regards to faulty fuel pumps, thinking this is my main culprit. Any idea on why it won’t stay running with the 2R tip under water?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can only take a guess, and that is you got something wet or water in the intake, but the water you should be able to see. I avoid deep water, it creates to many issues.
No water got in the air intake and no water present in the oil. Such a head scratcher for me!

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
On the heat issue on the fender I installed some heat reflective tape onto mine and there is now a world of difference on the felt heat on the left fender. Before when I had a rider with me they were always telling me that their leg was burning up, now it is just warm.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
A larger tip means less exhaust velocity / speed out the tip.. Water can more easily over come the exhaust pulse and potentially flood / restricte your exhaust system.

Smaller tip = more air speed / velocity. Better protection against deep water effects that you have experienced.

Nature of the beast / physics

·
Registered
523 Posts
Thanks for the response. I didn’t install the 2R to help with fuel issues, it was to relieve some “pressure” and allow the exhaust gases to flow more freely. Basically it was because the plastics got so hot that it would burn your leg on any type of lengthy ride. I have put my factory tip back on and she doesn’t stall as much on a cold start and no more low speed stalls. It will still stall though especially once winter decides to show up along as well if I let it idle for more than a few minutes as well. This rascal has done this since day one. My dealer mentioned a bulletin for these machines in regards to faulty fuel pumps, thinking this is my main culprit. Any idea on why it won’t stay running with the 2R tip under water?
The heat from the exhaust is from the catalytic converter working and getting very very hot from a all ready lean air fuel ratio. Installing a tip will lean out you’re air fuel ratio more . With the tip installed did you notice more popping from the exhaust on deceleration ? That is a sure sign that your leaning out your a/f. Running any engine lean is not healthy for longevity of said engine, installing a fuel tuner should help with your heat and stalling.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I will be honest - my base 2018 Kodiak stalls at low speeds. it Just straight cuts off, starts right back up and i am on my way. not sure what it is.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I will be honest - my base 2018 Kodiak stalls at low speeds. it Just straight cuts off, starts right back up and i am on my way. not sure what it is.
How much mileage? it's commun for them to stall at low speeds for the first 350+ miles of break in

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hard to really say sir, I bought mine used, so I am assuming there is "some mileage" as I have over 40 hours on it myself, which isn't much and it doesn't happen all the time.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Hard to really say sir, I bought mine used, so I am assuming there is "some mileage" as I have over 40 hours on it myself, which isn't much and it doesn't happen all the time.
@ 40 hrs + more then likely you are done the initial break in. Imo

1 - 13 of 13 Posts