Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I'm in the market for some new tires. Looking at 27in Zillas but not sure if I should go with the 27x9x12 all the way around or do the wider 27x11x12 in the back.

Any pros to doing all the same width? Any power loss or higher risk to break something with the wider tires?

· Registered
1,140 Posts
Hello All,

I'm in the market for some new tires. Looking at 27in Zillas but not sure if I should go with the 27x9x12 all the way around or do the wider 27x11x12 in the back.

Any pros to doing all the same width? Any power loss or higher risk to break something with the wider tires?
You won’t brake any parts unless your planning on beating the **** out of your machine. Zillas are light and tend to measure on the short side so power loss should be minimal. Many run 9" front and 11" rear zillas with excellent results and zero issues.

I'm currently running 26x 9" Growler all around and love it. I also have 26 x 11 rears too. I did the switch as an experiment and I'm just loving the slightly sportier experience.

You really can't go wrong with either set up. I've ran both and with heavier Growlers and have enjoyed great results either way.

Attachments

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You won’t brake any parts unless your planning on beating the **** out of your machine. Zillas are light and tend to measure on the short side so power loss should be minimal. Many run 9" front and 11" rear zillas with excellent results and zero issues.

I'm currently running 26x 9" Growler all around and love it. I also have 26 x 11 rears too. I did the switch as an experiment and I'm just loving the slightly sportier experience.

You really can't go wrong with either set up. I've ran both and with heavier Growlers and have enjoyed great results either way.

Thanks for the reply. I don't ride crazy. Mostly trails and the occasional mud, nothing too deep though. I just feel my stock tires are lacking and want to get the best bang for the buck on new tires.

· Registered
1,140 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I don't ride crazy. Mostly trails and the occasional mud, nothing too deep though. I just feel my stock tires are lacking and want to get the best bang for the buck on new tires.
I think you ll be happy with Zillas tires. I've never owned them but everyone who has them sure seem to love them!

The only negative of running 9" all around is you can't use your factory rear 7.5" wide wheels as the tire profile will be different from the 6" wide fronts. You ll need two factory skinny wheels to make it a true square tire set up or 4 aftermarket wheels.

If you want to keep your stock wheels, and keep things more affordable, 9" wide fronts and 11" rears are the way to go!!!

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you ll be happy with Zillas tires. I've never owned them but everyone who has them sure seem to love them!

The only negative of running 9" all around is you can't use your factory rear 7.5" wide wheels as the tire profile will be different from the 6" wide fronts. You ll need two factory skinny wheels to make it a true square tire set up or 4 aftermarket wheels.

If you want to keep your stock wheels, and keep things more affordable, 9" wide fronts and 11" rears are the way to go!!!

There is a company on Ebay that sells a full kit with wheels and tires already mounted for a decent price. Only like a couple hundred dollars difference from the full set with rims vs Zillas by them self plus having to have them mounted. The squared is only $20 cheaper than the wider backs. That is why I wanted to check before buying. Not really saving money going either way.

But I do like my stock rims so thanks for letting me know the squared setup wouldn't work.

· Registered
864 Posts
Most dealers will give you a good deal on factory take off wheels or tires. I have the zillas on my bike. 27x9x12 front and 27x11x12 rear. I like the idea of a squared set up though. love the zillas btw. I will keep buying them until they give me reason not to.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most dealers will give you a good deal on factory take off wheels or tires. I have the zillas on my bike. 27x9x12 front and 27x11x12 rear. I like the idea of a squared set up though. love the zillas btw. I will keep buying them until they give me reason not to.

Do you have aftermarket wheels or stock? Can you post a pic?

· Registered
1,140 Posts
Personally I like the factory aluminum wheels cause they are sooo light and I like the style . Hence why all my 6 tires are on factory aluminum wheels.

· Registered
54 Posts
Had 26" big horns and went to 27x9x12 and 27x11x12 cst wild thangs. Got them from www.atctirenation.com for 554$ to the door (canadian). They hook up great and are light.

Attachments

· Registered
1,140 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.