Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I put new tires on my 18 kodiak. Some 26/12/11 artracx radials all the way around. I have noticed I get a slight wobble now in the handlebars when I am driving on hard surfaces over 25 to 30mph. Have any of you with bigger tires experienced this? Should I have gone with a slimmer tire up front? Does it need to be balanced?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Get them balanced and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
204 Posts
So I put new tires on my 18 kodiak. Some 26/12/11 artracx radials all the way around. I have noticed I get a slight wobble now in the handlebars when I am driving on hard surfaces over 25 to 30mph. Have any of you with bigger tires experienced this? Should I have gone with a slimmer tire up front? Does it need to be balanced?
exactly what i'm going through ..... left dealer, drove to tire shop, had my new 26x9&11-12 installed. go home, out for first drive, 52kph it starts to shake, by 70kph, gotta let off, barely hold onto bars.

of course in my excitement to go on that first drive ..... i forgot to drop air pressure down to 5ish lbs....so my first 4km was on tires with 20+ psi. lol

hopefully some counteract balance beads will help.

·
Registered
499 Posts
From what I understand, this is a common thing with the Chinese knock off tires.
That can certainly be the case as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Noticed the same around 60/70 kph and over on my newer Maxxis Big Horn originals. Thinking about getting them re-balanced as I dont think I noticed this last fall when they were new?

·
Registered
51 Posts
It really depend if they are just out of balance OR out of round. I’ve had good luck using Airsoft BB’s in Swamper truck tires and I plan on putting 2oz in each tire when I mount up my new Reptile Radials this week. With airsoftBB’s/balance beads you will still get a bit of shake until you hit 25-30mph then they settle in and smooth out. If the tire is out of round you will pretty much be SOL unless you can get swapped under warranty.

·
Registered
222 Posts
makes me want to stick with the stock size tire, I love moving quickly and would hate to pay a few hundred dollars just to get the wobbles haha

·
Registered
111 Posts
makes me want to stick with the stock size tire, I love moving quickly and would hate to pay a few hundred dollars just to get the wobbles haha
I have 26” Maxxis BigHorn 2.0. I usually keep them aired at 8lbs and I haven’t had this issue at any speed or on any surface.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Most of the time tires won’t need balancing but it sounds like yours definitely do need to be balanced

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have a pair of ITP Mudlites on the rear. stock size. which is just fine. They have been awesome tires.....you guys think if I went from the 25 inch stock.... to brand new 26 inch Mudlites all the way around, that would be just fine? I am very much considering it soonish

·
Registered
394 Posts
Absolutely. Check out some of the tire threads about bigger tires. There’s good stuff there. I’m running 26” Maxxis Zillas on my Kodiak 11” on the rear & 9” on the front and love them. Huge improvement over the stock tires.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have a pair of ITP Mudlites on the rear. stock size. which is just fine. They have been awesome tires.....you guys think if I went from the 25 inch stock.... to brand new 26 inch Mudlites all the way around, that would be just fine? I am very much considering it soonish
There are better tires out there then Mudlites.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I just know I can get a set of mudlites for about 280 dollars from amazon. That is a good bit of motive. And i like how they look aswell. Tires like bighorns dont look very good to me

·
Registered
600 Posts
27" maxxis zillas on mine. No clearance issues and no noticeable power loss. More mileage on them now than I had on the stockers and no regrets.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts