Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there some aftermarket instrument that I can install that shows speed, mileage and fuel level?

Super Moderator
For a speedometer/odometer check out Trail Tech. I have one and it works just fine.

You are out of luck for a real fuel gauge

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
Here's a picture of the one that I have where I made a custom mount instead of using the handle bar mount that they supply

Reactions: Vincent

Super Moderator
It didn't take too long.

You have to install a sensor one of the front tires for the speedometer. Also on the one that I have I had to cut into a coolant hose to install that sensor.

Overall I would say a couple of hours. I made the mount out of a piece of 2 inch angle iron with a notch cut into it and bent to the angle that I wanted. Actually the mount took more time than the meter minus painting it

Registered
Thanks for the info, that sounds like it is not too hard. I can't imagine how you tie into the coolant hose! I have a 91 Honda 4 TRAX that I bought new that keeps on working well, but I always wanted to add one of these, but was afraid to try. I am not sure how I would deal with the temp sensor, as it is air cooled. Engine temperature has always been a concern as I have worked it hard in hot weather.

Registered
It didn't take too long.

You have to install a sensor one of the front tires for the speedometer. Also on the one that I have I had to cut into a coolant hose to install that sensor.

Overall I would say a couple of hours. I made the mount out of a piece of 2 inch angle iron with a notch cut into it and bent to the angle that I wanted. Actually the mount took more time than the meter minus painting it

Love your set up!

Attachments

Super Moderator
You would have to go to Trail Techs site and put in the year and make and see if anything comes up.

Or you could even call their tech support and ask them. I could be wrong but I think that they had a sensor for a air cooled engine also but I could be wrong.

Registered
Thanks JimP, I had thought about that, and now wonder if they can sense the engine oil temp. I actually have a light that is supposed to come on when the oil gets hot, but it never has. It would be very interesting if I knew the hours and miles. If I have used it the same as my Kodiak, I would be at about 2700 hours and 12,000 miles, and only new tires and starter in all those years!

Super Moderator
As with a lot of machines there are big question marks as far as hours and miles.

My 2000 Kodiak had a speedometer and odometer that I put on it from a kit from Yamaha in 2001. It was simple to install and didn't cost that much. But the problem with the odometer was it only went up to 999 and then rolled over, and when you were trying to keep track of how far you rode on a drive you would just reset it back to 0000 and go from there. I do know that it was on it's fifth set of tires when I sold it after I bought my 2016.

I also can't believe that Yamaha didn't at least put a hour meter onto the base model of the 700. It would be so much easier to keep track of maintenance with one, that is the big reason I went with the Trail Tech Striker that I have on mine.

Reactions: Vincent

Registered
You and I know that an hour meter could be simple and cheap, but like automobiles, gadgets cost money and they come with packages and so when you want a basic item, you get and pay for a package! Just for fun, my 91 Four Trax 300 Honda cost $3400, so I think the new Kodiak is a good value.

Super Moderator
That's the problem with manufactures. They place things that are worthless on a vehicle and something that is as simple as a hour meter they leave off.

In all reality Yamaha could of added the instrument cluster on the base model for less than $500. You can actually purchase the parts off of Yamaha's dealers web sites for less than $400 so with the extra they could of thrown in the electric push button 4x4 switch and servo and just listed the base model for that extra $500.

Then for the upper models they could of added the locking front diff and power steering. The extra cost of those two items are what got me to looking at the base model instead of the higher end ones.

Registered
Here's a picture of the one that I have where I made a custom mount instead of using the handle bar mount that they supply
Good looking job! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts