Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to switch my Kodiak to synthetic. Undecided yet which brand though I have narrowed it down to a couple. What are you using? Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
I spoke with the service department and they said Mobile 1, Motul, or Yamalube. I use mobile 1 in all my cars and trucks so I believe thats the way i will go. any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm still on Yamalube, I'm thinking to go with Rotella T6 when switching to synthetic. Highly rated and excellent pricing.
@Bigwillys007 make sure that whatever oil you choose it's rated for wet clutch , like JASO or AMA standards.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bought the rotella t6 and a wix filter. Now to find some good synthetics for the diffs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Amsoil 10W-40 Synthetic ATV/UTV Engine Oil.

·
Super Moderator
1,776 Posts
On my first oil change I'll be using Valvoline full synthetic 5w20 or 5w30. I'll use Valvoline full synthetic gear oil also when I do the front and rear ends.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On my first oil change I'll be using Valvoline full synthetic 5w20 or 5w30. I'll use Valvoline full synthetic gear oil also when I do the front and rear ends.
The front and rear take different fluids. The rear has to be compatible with wet brake systems. Calls for mobilfluid 424 so would have to be a compatible replacement.

·
Super Moderator
1,776 Posts
That's why I didn't mention the exact type.

I just checked and Valvoline has a 80w90 GL-5 oil that meets the specs but it isn't a full synthetic but a blend that can be used in the final gear case.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm liking the rotella t6. Bike shifts in an out of gear smoother and bike seems to run cooler.

·
Registered
142 Posts
So why the big difference in oil selection 5w20 to 10w40 would like to know your thoughts on it are as I am going to change mine this week and can't decide what to use

·
Registered
9 Posts
As of 5/11/21 Amazon has gallons of Shell Rotella T6 5W40 for $22 with a $7.00 Rebate - max of $35. Net cost is $15 a gallon.

Go figure though - 1 Gallon is $22, but a pack of 3 1 Gallon jugs is $84.... I think someone's math was off.

·
Super Moderator
1,776 Posts
As of 5/11/21 Amazon has gallons of Shell Rotella T6 5W40 for $22 with a $7.00 Rebate - max of $35. Net cost is $15 a gallon.

Go figure though - 1 Gallon is $22, but a pack of 3 1 Gallon jugs is $84.... I think someone's math was off.
It's called marketing. A lot of people will not purchase a pack of 3 1 gallon jugs unless they really need it but instead just purchase a 1 gallon jug. They will also not look at the price difference until they look at their receipt at home.

I just looked at the two that are on Amazon, they carry different specifications on the API ratings for different engines.

It is the old proverb, buyer be ware......

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
Normally I use a Mobil 1 full synthetic for everything. I have YamahaLube full synthetic so I'm gonna use it for now..

·
Super Moderator
834 Posts
It's called marketing. A lot of people will not purchase a pack of 3 1 gallon jugs unless they really need it but instead just purchase a 1 gallon jug. They will also not look at the price difference until they look at their receipt at home.

I just looked at the two that are on Amazon, they carry different specifications on the API ratings for different engines.

It is the old proverb, buyer be ware......
What differet api ratings did you see?

Funny you say most won't buy 3 jugs..... And here i an buying it by the 5 gal pail on sale plus mail in rebate. Lol
Same with my filters, bought 8 filter, saved over $3 per filter.

When you look at it, it only makes sense, gonna be buying it again anyways, so buy bulk and save.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,776 Posts
What differet api ratings did you see?

Funny you say most won't buy 3 jugs..... And here i an buying it by the 5 gal pail on sale plus mail in rebate. Lol
Same with my filters, bought 8 filter, saved over $3 per filter.

When you look at it, it only makes sense, gonna be buying it again anyways, so buy bulk and save.

I just compared a few of the ratings that different engine manufacturers require and there difference on them.

I know that when I buy oil for my truck it is 4 gallons at a time with a 14 quart oil pan. The manufacturers used to package it 4 gallons per case, now it's 3 gallon per case. A month or so ago there was a sale on the oil that I use but I found that if I bought it in the 2 1/2 gallon jug and bought 2 of them that it was cheaper than 5 1 gallon jugs that were on sale.

People just need to do some math if they plan on saving any money

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
834 Posts
I just compared a few of the ratings that different engine manufacturers require and there difference on them.

I know that when I buy oil for my truck it is 4 gallons at a time with a 14 quart oil pan. The manufacturers used to package it 4 gallons per case, now it's 3 gallon per case. A month or so ago there was a sale on the oil that I use but I found that if I bought it in the 2 1/2 gallon jug and bought 2 of them that it was cheaper than 5 1 gallon jugs that were on sale.

People just need to do some math if they plan on saving any money

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
Yup exactly. They see the price on the shelf, but don't look at price per liter/quart.
I worked at an auto parts warehouse one summer, dealing with all our whokesale customers. We had this one guy that would buy washer fluid for his store by the pallet load, cases of 4x4L jugs. We would have asale occasionally on this crappy stuff that can't in a 5 L jug. He would switch to that because it was on sale, even though it worked out that 3x5L cost over $4 more than 4x4L case..... Tried to explain it, but he couldn't see past the "sale". Lol

Reactions: JimP
1 - 18 of 18 Posts