Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I said in another thread that I had been considering trading the Kodiak in on a SXS due to medical issues (carpal tunnel syndrome makes for a very painful ATV ride!). Today I pulled the trigger. It was not brought on by my cold starting issues, but that problem did kind of light a fire under my ***. Warranty almost over, I didn't want this issue hanging over my head.

It's almost like the Kodiak knew it was being traded. We got two inches of snow from that big blizzard that smashed the eastern seaboard, then it turned to rain. I wanted to get the slush out of the driveway before it froze, so I hooked up the plow and cleared up the mess. The bike worked flawlessly.

Loaded it onto the trailer, worked flawlessly.

Went to the dealership to look around. Fell in love with a very low mile (1200) 2014 Can-Am Maverick XXC 1000R with a bunch of goodies (doors, windshield, roof, stereo system, aftermarket control arms, 28" Outlaws on beadlock wheels, aftermarket seats, etc). I couldn't take my eyes off it, so a deal was made. The Kodiak was traded in, and I was now the owner of the Maverick.

Then I went to take the Kodiak off the trailer, and it provided a smoke show that any drag car would be proud of. Except it wasn't tire smoke, it was oil smoke. It belched oil smoke like a 20 year old Honda, and it belched for several minutes before clearing up. I was utterly embarrassed. Thankfully the salesman didn't care, as the thing still has warranty on it.

One thing of note: I paid $9299 for it (Canadian) almost a year ago. They gave me $9200 on trade. I essentially rode for free for the past year.

I still plan on hanging around this forum (I think there are more Nova Scotians here than there are in Nova Scotia), just with a different machine. So, without further delay, let me introduce you to my new-to-me non-Yamaha:

·
Registered
142 Posts
How has this can am been so far, I have been thinking on trading to one of these as well, do to a neck injury thinking it would be easier on me.

·
Registered
83 Posts
sounds like a nice deal and looks like a blast to me! definitely have a snatch block and some d rings on board for that sucker.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So far it's been great. I've had it so covered in mud that you couldn't tell what colour it is, and in water halfway up the doors. I've done lots of things to it so far: Lift kit, dual batteries, wooden rear trunk, front and rear LED lights, winch, GPS, backup camera, LED dome light, turn signals, made my own top half windshield, installed aftermarket EPS, and redid the electrical system. The only complaints I've had are that I've already changed the belt twice (but I'm not gentle on it, and I think the first belt was faulty as I only got 120km out of it) and, it is LOUD inside! I'm considering pulling it all apart and installing dynomat or something similar, plus I'm going to make a back window for it to hopefully cut down on the noise.

I am a convert - I will never go back to an ATV. I loved my Kodiak but this thing is so much more comfortable and it has gone everywhere I've pointed it. I've put about a thousand km on it, everything from wide open fire roads to tight woods trails, and it has passed through it all with ease.

If I had to do it again, though, I think I'd get a Commander instead of a Maverick, because I prefer the utility and the Commander has a bed like a truck. I have somewhat made up for this with the wooden trunk I built, and I still have Electric Boogaloo (the small trailer I had built for the Kodiak) for hauling apples into the woods for deer season, but I think I'd have been happier with a utility of the Commander over the sportiness of the Maverick

·
Super Moderator
1,776 Posts
When the side by sides first started coming out I remember thinking that they were about the same size as my first vehicle, a 1942 military jeep.

I also wondered just where they would stop as far as size and power and have found out that the sky is the limit. However in some states a off road vehicle needs to be less than 52" in width and some states it is 48" in width to take it on a lot of the trails, this takes out a lot of side by sides.

But if it suits your need and how you ride then it may be the better choice for you. I know a lot of the advantages of them over a wheeler will make the decision a lot easier for those that purchase them. I know that quite a few times when I have been out riding I have thought that it would be a lot nicer if I had a canopy and full size windshield to keep the weather off of me. Not to mention the added capabilities of that second rider or even 3 or 4 along with all of their gear.

Enjoy the ride my friend.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I always thought the same thing about SXS's - they're nearly as big as a Jeep. I used to think one would be better off with a small Jeep (or Samurai) or even one of those Japanese mini trucks. Then I saw SXS's in action and was quite impressed with what they could do. Then I took a ride in one and was sold.

This Maverick is a bit wider than 60". There are no size restrictions on our trails, but there are some bridges that are just about as wide as the machine. The Maverick X3, that crazy turbo thing that costs nearly $30k, is 72" wide. That's pushing things a bit too far for me - those machines are better suited to deserts and prairies than the tighter trails we have around here. I'm a member of two local ATV clubs, and the rallies always advertise as "Side by side friendly". As they become more popular I would expect this trend to continue.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reactions: dashaint
1 - 7 of 7 Posts