Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. New Here. Search is not working today so I will just ask> I have 400 ft of driveway ranging from 7% to 14%( 70 ft or so). Wet snows of 2" up to 21 " Will a Kodiak handle plowing that? Do I need chains? Does Diff lock, etc? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,228 Posts
Yes it will work and chains will help a lot along with the diff lock

If you already have a Kodiak it will work but if you are looking a side by side will work a lot better. You will find that the heaver that the machine that you are using the easier it will plow heavy wet snow.

You will also find that if you get 21" of heavy snow that you will have some problems and it is best if you can push a ways and then get it off of the drive way. Then once you have one path through it it will get easier. I try to get out once there is less than a foot of snow if more is in forecast for the area. It is easier on both the machine and yourself the easier it is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I can see that more weight will be a plus. So the side by side would be a better choice. So now I am looking at Rhino, Mule, Ranger, etc. We built 30 yrs ago and I quickly learned why my ancestors did not build on tops of mtns. I have had some interesting rides down the road on occasion. Being in my 70's now has ruled out the 8" shovel. My track driven snow blower is a bit much as well. But we do love the views and critters which pass. Thanks:wink2:

·
Super Moderator
1,228 Posts
A friend who lives in southern Colorado has a Yamaha Rhino and had no problems last year with quite a bit of snow. Plus the enclosed cab is a big plus when outside in snowy weather

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ive plowed my 600 ft driveway with my kodiak for a couple years. It can definitely handle it but it will definitely be tough when the snow gets deep. Ive tried chains which helps alot, gives you that extra bit of traction.
My advice its make sure you have enough space to push the snow back because as winter goes on your drive way gets narrower and narrower because once the side walls of snow in your driveway get to be as high as your plow and freeze in place , it kinda creates a sort of tunnel and theres no where for the snow to go but out. I usually start the year plowing with my shovel angled has much as possible and by winters end its straight because i can no longer push it to the side but have to push it out to the street and spread the piles.
If you have alot of snow and not alot of space, i would recommend a snowblower, it can take me up to an hour after a storm with my kodiak, sometimes i feel like a blower would just be easier.

·
Registered
342 Posts
If you get a quad you can always run two different plows on it...a shorter one if the wet snow gets out of hand and a wide one for when it's normal or plowed more often.
I've plowed with a three wheeler in the past...just takes a little longer.
If your on a steep incline having low gears and a diff lock along with power steering could all be helpful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts