Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all Kodiak owners
I just received my Iron Baltic Plastic Skid plate set. I have always used Richochet aluminum skid till now.
they always worked great. this time with my 2019 Kodiak EPS with Grey and black coloring and black wheels these black plastic skids will look great I believe. the box arrived in only 4 days after order and inside was a packing list with names those who assembled the kit and packed it. also 3 pages of install instruction with text and pictures, I appreciate the professionalism with this company so far.. I will be mounting these up this weekend

Attachments

·
Registered
320 Posts
They look nice. Post some pictures once they are installed please.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Iron Baltic installed

I was able to install my Iron Baltic skid plate set last Saturday. install time was 2 hours and 15 minutes with the old
skid already removed. some help was needed with hold parts in place while I started screws. the hardware was good and clearly marked and the instructions were easy to understand and follow. I will be hitting the desert next two weekends in a row for a full test of there protection...
I used my ramps and the back of my truck as a way to get under the quad for installation.

Attachments

·
Registered
868 Posts
How do they look as far as oil drainage near the oil filter and drain plugs?

I know on my stock skid plates that I just take them off when it is time to change the oil to keep from making a mess.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did an oil change as I had my skids off but this new one looks to be more difficult to remove the center piece.
a single piece cover the entire center section, floor boards included... on the good side there is a precut hole for the drain plug, but changing the filter will leave a mess I think.... it will be 6 more months before I need to change oils again.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
So how do they seem as far as quality compared to your aluminum ones? And how do they compare to stock? Thanks for all the pics! Nice install!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First no comparison to stock skids. I had already, in 6 months, replaced one a-arm guard and the rear section of OEM skids.. these new ones are 10mm High density plastic. fitment was great and the looks are perfect for my grey and black Kodiak. Time will tell how tough they are. I have the idea these will last as long as I own this quad....

Attachments

·
Registered
868 Posts
On the oil change I am afraid that I would be cutting into them to make a hole under the oil filter area and even perhaps a larger hole at the drain plugs.

I hate a mess all over the skid plates when changing oil. You end up with a clump of dirt and oil that after a while takes a jackhammer to get off

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They are heavier than stock, much heavier, but I did not weight them. as far as handling I have been dialing in my ELKA stage 1 shock springs
this spring and didn't notice this increase in weight. I have only one ride so far and scratched the jeep roads quite a few times as I was riding hard to see how they hold up... they survived just fine, no loose parts, no broken fasteners, and no missing parts after first ride.]
I am so far VERY Impressed with these skids and the company, Iron Baltic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have any of you guys tried making a skid plate out of 1/4" HDPE puck board material? I had that on my last ATV and it slides over stuff well and is very tough.

I thought a plain flat unit would be less likely to have mud build up and be easier to hose out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I looked into a 4x8 ft sheet of 1/3 HDPE cost me $210 then the hardware and cutting would need to be done. also I never figured out the bent for the arched A-arms.. the skid plate manufactures sell hardware kits for full sets at about $199... I would have $400 ~ 500 into the supplies and still have all the work. So I purchased from Iron Baltic and love the fit and finish, and after a couple hard rides in the desert slamming rocks and the trails ridges the skids are all still tight and secure and have had no problems. I am Very happy with these

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
fossil
I forgot to mention: I live in the desert, I only have to wash mud off once every 7 to 10 years. but I have to clean dust every ride and if I am not the lead rider I need an air filter for mouth/nose.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I looked into a 4x8 ft sheet of 1/3 HDPE cost me $210 then the hardware and cutting would need to be done. also I never figured out the bent for the arched A-arms.. the skid plate manufactures sell hardware kits for full sets at about $199... I would have $400 ~ 500 into the supplies and still have all the work. So I purchased from Iron Baltic and love the fit and finish, and after a couple hard rides in the desert slamming rocks and the trails ridges the skids are all still tight and secure and have had no problems. I am Very happy with these
Thanks for the repy.

I've only have 18 hrs on the 700 and most of those were easy break in rides on a rail trail. The last ride I went on was a bit unusual as the mud was like thick soup that really packed in hard.

It took me over 3 hours to clean the crap out.

I am going to cut the bottom out of the A arm skids. The mud was packed there so hard I thought it might rip a CV boot if a stick flipped in there. I finally removed the 40 lb (mud filled estimate) skid plate to get the crap out of there.

There are so many pockets to collect mud and stones and they are difficult to access with a hose. I'll make a few rides and see what happens but I will be doing something so it cleans up in 30 minutes.

Not a great design for my riding conditions.

Dust is rough for sure. I prefer some rain to the dust. It seems like we are both riding in opposite conditions.

I am looking forward to April when I can get back to riding.

·
Registered
436 Posts
They look really nice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts