Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Kodiak 700 EPS.

Do I actually have to stop to shift from 2WD to 4WD and back?

I get that it should be while the ATV is not under power load.

I was wondering if this was a "save Yamaha's butt" legal deal or actually a necessity.

·
Registered
408 Posts
It is a very good idea, slight movement might be ok, but not being stoped might come back to haunt you some day.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yes you can while moving but I’m with TRW, better safe than sorry so I always come to a complete stop before changing in and out of 4x4 when ever possible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
On my 2007 450 with 22000 km just let up on the throttle for a second and shift I would shift back and forth at speed all the time ,most of the time at 30 to 50 km with no issues . Sometime I would forget to shift back and at 80 km shift it back to 2 wheel with no issues, even on my 2018 700 I still do the same shift at any speed with no issues I have 7000 km on it now . In fact the guy i sold the bike to still drives it the same way no issues yet.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I hate to admit it but I put many miles on my Kodiak before I actually read the owners manual...:surprise:

I've always shifted into and out of 4wd while moving, albeit never under any real load at the time, I've not seen anything bad come from it.

Although...after reading the manual...(cough cough)...I stop now and change..can't hurt..:wink2:

·
Registered
868 Posts
One thing about shifting into or out of 4x4 or diff lock is that you usually do take your thumb off of the throttle to hit the button or move the lever over to go into diff lock.

That is unless you use your left hand to do it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I generally stop and shift. One of the Techs at the dealer said it may be a good idea. My friend stops, puts in nuetral, engages 4x4, then back into gear.

Ive switch 2 or 3 times without stopping

·
Registered
73 Posts
It won't hurt anything going from 2wd to 4wd and back to 2wd while moving. I wouldn't recommend running wide open in the mud or down the highway and pressing the button with your left hand, but normally your right thumb naturally comes off the throttle to press the button on the switch. This natural pause in the throttle is enough to allow the 4wd/2wd to actuate without any undue stress on the machine. Diff lock is a different story, you should stop or come to a really slow crawl before engaging the diff lock.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I shift in and out of 2W/4W all the time. The older ATVs did it all the time, wasn't it called "shift on the fly". My trucks shift in and out of 4 wheel while moving. I wouldn't do it at 50mph on an ATV.

just my 4 cents.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I shift in and out of 2W/4W all the time. The older ATVs did it all the time, wasn't it called "shift on the fly". My trucks shift in and out of 4 wheel while moving. I wouldn't do it at 50mph on an ATV.

just my 4 cents.
Yes, but even with your truck you need to be at a stop and in neutral to go into 4x4 Low....this would be similar to our Diff-Lock

1 - 12 of 12 Posts