Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes it is very hard, sometimes it is easy, anyone got any tricks to solve the issue of hard shifting. Do you all have hard shifting at times, or all the time?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Sometimes it is very hard, sometimes it is easy, anyone got any tricks to solve the issue of hard shifting. Do you all have hard shifting at times, or all the time?
Is it only when shifting out of Park? That may be because you're parked on an incline. to solve that just rock your bike back and forth a little.

What model year is your bike? There is a shifter interlock cable that can be out of adjustment - check your owners manual- you need to engage the rear brake to shift. I understand that Yamaha took that out for 2018 , maybe even 2017 models?
Check your shifter linkages for loose components.

·
Registered
342 Posts
The cable was removed for 2018.

With the cable you are suppose to apply the brakes before shifting. What a pain that would be.

If you have the interlock cable I'd look into removing it all together.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I respectfully disagree :|
If you do that you will damage your transmission and possible the clutch components. Only shift with engine at idle speed!
If you are referring to shifting from park to H, L or R, tapping the throttle and then letting it rev back down before shifting will loosen it up. I guess I should have been more clear that you let it rev back to normal before shifting. I have owned a grizzly, rhino, Viking and now a Kodiak and they all do this. Very normal .

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info, it seems to have improved some and it is not bad, I was just hoping for a bit smoother. Thanks to all of you for our input, you are a great resource!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2016 kodiak 700 and i had the same issue with the hard shifting between any gear. So i started to investigate. I took the plastics off on the left side and located what seems to be a shift fork. In order to shift between each gear you need to hold the brake. Well sometimes that safety switch/pin does not always go all the way in and it is really difficult to shift gears. So i cut the fork and i do not have to hold any brake to shift gears. I love it

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've found on my 2016 700 that the foot brake also kinda works as a clutch. When you are coming to a stop instead of just letting the rig idle down to a stop, use the foot brake. It makes shifting so much easier.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, this is interesting, anyone got any thoughts on this? I will try this and see what I think.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I have determined that always going to neutral before going to park or any gear seems to work. I also think that going to park before you shut it off makes it shift easier when you want to shift it anytime. Foot on the brake help also, as I think it takes a little pressure off the drivetrain.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I started this thread, I had a new 2016, now I have an 2018. This shifts much better and before shifting it I go from whatever gear I am in to neutral or bypass neutral and then go to the gear I need. If I am in Reverse, I just bump it up to N and then go to park or whatever gear I need. That works well.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just a follow up. Today I pulled into some deep snow and forgot to put it in park. When I went to start it, I could not get it out of Low. I did rock it hard by lunging forward and backward with my body and finally got it to come out of Low. It goes into Park easy when it is running, and that is the time to put it there.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just a follow up. Today I pulled into some deep snow and forgot to put it in park. When I went to start it, I could not get it out of Low. I did rock it hard by lunging forward and backward with my body and finally got it to come out of Low. It goes into Park easy when it is running, and that is the time to put it there.
if it’s difficult getting out of gear just give a little throttle and move a couple of more inches. Apply the brake so there’s no load on the transmission and change gears. Works for me.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the input, I was kind of stuck in very deep snow, so moving it was hard, but you info did help!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts