Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This IS how this is supposed to be set up correct? Because she just doesn't want to compress, and I'm starting to bend the spring retainer

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just peeked at the exploded diagram, definitely seems I have it set up correctly..

My problem may be a compressor that isn't "square" for lack of a better word..

Id like to think the threaded section should be centered in the hole because How it is now isnt compressing evenly. Dammit. This is what happens when your rushing -__-

·
Registered
926 Posts
Yes that is correct. Now back off the nut......

·
Registered
414 Posts
Just peeked at the exploded diagram, definitely seems I have it set up correctly..

My problem may be a compressor that isn't "square" for lack of a better word..

View attachment 10522

Id like to think the threaded section should be centered in the hole because How it is now isnt compressing evenly. Dammit. This is what happens when your rushing -__-
Well it certainly looks correct, but do you have enough room to back the nut off ? You could pull off your rear tire / rim and compress the spring with some body weight. Biggest question why are you rushing ?

·
Grizzled Mod
255 Posts
You only need to compress the secondary spring enough to back off the nut. You also should have "broke" the torqued nut first before trying to compress the spring and then using your hand to spin the nut off.

Reactions: Vincent

·
Registered
926 Posts
You only need to compress the secondary spring enough to back off the nut. You also should have "broke" the torqued nut first before trying to compress the spring and then using your hand to spin the nut off.
Agreed.

It's best to break the nut loose before using your compressor. Once compressed the nut will generally come off with your fingers

·
Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27” Reptiles, 1” wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
212 Posts
I had the exact same problem my first time. For removing it, the wheel trick is AWESOME and way easier.
This tool works best for assembly, in my opinion.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I had the exact same problem my first time. For removing it, the wheel trick is AWESOME and way easier.
This tool works best for assembly, in my opinion.
Agreed,

I made a compressor out of junk I had around the garage the first time around. Used it a few more times after that to service others secondary sheaves.. It worked good

Last year I decided to try my truck wheel to install my purple spring on my 2019. Worked awesome!!!! 3 days later I used my truck wheel again to remove it.... Lol

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, after re-setting the compressor multiple times trying to get it square.. i got it off. It was still a wicked pain in the rear though, and not exactly sure why. The damage had already been done to the spring retainer unfortunately, so thats going to need to be replaced. Also kinda caved in the top of the compressor cup a touch because it needed so much pressure, oh well, itll still work fine for re-assembly.

I THINK the compressor cup could of/should of been 1/4" smaller in diameter, that would of allowed it to center itself on the retainer a little better instead of starting to roll off the radius-ed edge and causing some of my issues.

.. Biggest question why are you rushing ?
We had made plans with friends to have dinner a few hours prior to starting, and just when I started working they decided to move dinner up an hour giving me much less time lol. Really wanted to get it installed before dinner so my dessert could be a test ride. I get sloppy under pressure lol.

Reactions: Rob-c
1 - 9 of 9 Posts