Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently transitioned from a Polaris 500 Sportsman basically worn out in 380 hrs to a new 2017 base model 700 with now less than an hour run time.
This 700 really whines when off the throttle coming down an 8% or greater grade. The more the machine is warmed up the louder it seems to get. It is loud enough that my neighbor a mile down the canyon can hear me coming since the whine is louder than the exhaust by far.

When I first got the machine, on a steep incline, I would have to throttle up to keep the machine moving downhill. Doesn't seem to be the case now. At approx 15 mph I can throttle off and the machine will continue to gain speed but not always. After 4 miles or so of downgrade I've had it actually do nothing to slow the machine down and had to climb on the brakes to slow for upcoming corners. This isn't rough terrain by any means since 99% of my riding is on forest service roads.

I just talked to the dealer who has now had the machine for a week and he says he can't find anything wrong with it??? This whine, this loud, can't be normal can it?

It's still under warranty. Do I go elsewhere for diagnosis or run it hard and see if it breaks?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Recently transitioned from a Polaris 500 Sportsman basically worn out in 380 hrs to a new 2017 base model 700 with now less than an hour run time.
This 700 really whines when off the throttle coming down an 8% or greater grade. The more the machine is warmed up the louder it seems to get. It is loud enough that my neighbor a mile down the canyon can hear me coming since the whine is louder than the exhaust by far.

When I first got the machine, on a steep incline, I would have to throttle up to keep the machine moving downhill. Doesn't seem to be the case now. At approx 15 mph I can throttle off and the machine will continue to gain speed but not always. After 4 miles or so of downgrade I've had it actually do nothing to slow the machine down and had to climb on the brakes to slow for upcoming corners. This isn't rough terrain by any means since 99% of my riding is on forest service roads.

I just talked to the dealer who has now had the machine for a week and he says he can't find anything wrong with it??? This whine, this loud, can't be normal can it?

It's still under warranty. Do I go elsewhere for diagnosis or run it hard and see if it breaks?
Sounds like you are loosing the engine braking on the bike? Is it only happening after it's warmed up? Maybe your One Way Bearing is the problem , or part of the problem. Or the wet clutch, do you notice when it's warmed up that is also sluggish taking off? Like clutch slipping on a manual trans?

If your dealer can't reproduce the problem make sure you document your concerns with names, dates and paperwork. Take it to another dealer if you have to.
Ride it like that if they can't find anything wrong , only if you think you're safe to go downhill without engine braking. Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a bunch for the response. You reiterated pretty much what I suspect but really wanted to hear it from someone else. The problem definitely seems worse as the bike descends over a long grade approx 4 miles. You certainly can't trust that when you let off the gas you're going to slow down. Got a little scary coming into a switch back a little hot and what you thought you could rely on wasn't there. I'll let you know the results after I come to some kind of determination and solution.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts