Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been setting my machine up as the ultimate trail boss, with goals of long distance trail rides all over the US. Admittedly, so far I have only been 30-40 miles at a time, but my friends are still getting their machines ready.
I’m not suggesting my machine actually is the ultimate yet - lol! I’m sure somebody else’s is...
anyway, my 30-40 mile mountain run a couple weeks ago at Doe Mountain in TN resulted in about 15mpg. Lots of steep rocky terrain, some low-range riding, etc. Consequently I’m looking into fuel options before the trips get longer. It doesn’t take long to see RotoPax as the best. I’m sort of torn between a 2-Gal or 3-Gal mounted to the front rack. But, I wanted to get everyone’s thoughts and experiences with this before dropping $100-150 and not liking it.

·
Super Moderator
1,305 Posts
My nephew as a 3.5 gallon one but he has it mounted up to the rear rack on his Kawasaki. He made the mounting bracket by himself and has full access to both his front and rear racks.

I don't see any problem mounting it to the front rack if that is what you want to do.

Reactions: JD864

·
Registered
212 Posts
I just strap mine down in the front basket.

·
Super Moderator
125 Posts
Rotopax is probably the best for fuel packs... except for the associated costs. I ended up with a 2 gallon fuel pack and that connects to one of their "2 gallon" Emergency packs where I keep extraction gear. Both of those are mounted to the Rotopack universal mounting plate with one locking pack mount and one non-locking pack mount. It was not cheap but is very secure and does not move around even on very rocky trails I frequent. I have all that Rotopack stuff mounted on the front rack as I prefer that kind of add on weight in the front versus the rear.

BTW, if you are new to Kodiak/Grizzly ATVs, do not trust that the fuel gauge is very accurate. What you need to do is carry extra fuel and then do a standard ride to figure out how many miles you will get on a full fuel tank. I have had my fuel gauge flashing after 50-60 miles but am able to get about 100 miles per tank. Also will depend how much you are in 4x4 and if your throttle thumb is heavy, you run heavier tires, etc.

Reactions: JD864

·
Super Moderator
1,305 Posts
I have found that the trouble with weight distribution is that while you usually need it on the front you also will need it on the rear.

An ideal setup would be where you could switch them back and forth. But then it wouldn't be too practical.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I have a nice trunk on the rear. Various items inside: first aid kit, rain jacket, passenger foot straps, tow straps, jumper cables, slime, tire plugs, pump, tool kit etc. I have room for a jacket, a couple lunches, and a few water bottles too. I have carried a couple MSR bottles with fuel, but prefer to keep the fuel separate from all those other things. So, I already have ~40# on the rear. Adding a 2-Gal on the front would only be ~20# with mounts, tank, fuel, etc. But it would be better than adding another 20# to the rear for sure! I’m wondering if I should do the 3-Gal like that Kaw. I can’t believe my Kodiak is as thirsty as as a Kaw though... lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just rubber strapped plastic 2qty 6(cap) gallon boat tanks, front and rear and used the tank`s fuel hoses and siphons to fill the Kodiak`s tank. I went on very long trip on the dryed up river (south Canadian) during the last big drought a few years ago. Obviously they make smaller ones if you dont want that big. I made a 2 gallon blitz tank holder out of angle iron lined with foam that clamps on the rear rack for those long rides over 70miles but not to much.

·
Registered
2 Posts

2 gallon Rotopax fuel can and tool box fit well on the front rack. It’s about the only thing that doesn’t interfere with the high beams. We ride H&M in WV and I’ll never be caught without a spare can again. IMO 2 gallons is plenty to get me to the next fuel station.

·
Registered
2 Posts
One of the great things about rotopax is that you can double stack them if you buy longer mounting hardware. I just haven’t found the need to carry that much stuff. About the only negative is the cost, put I don’t mind paying more for a quality product.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts