Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All- I have a 2017 Kodiak 700 (no PS), 1200 miles. On my ride this weekend I pulled up to stop, started smelling burning oil & shut it down. Upon inspection of the right side I noticed oil dripping. I removed the top cover & noticed oil from the 2 vent tubes downward. I trailered back to cabin, pressure washed & let it dry out. Started machine, let it warm up & hoped to identify the issue. NOTHING! I can only assume that whatever was leaking came from one of the 2 cent tubes. My question is, what are the 2 vent tubes on the ignition side of the machine for? It’s the only possibility I can come up with as to culprit of this issue. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

·
Super Moderator
1,888 Posts
A picture of the tube would help.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Sounds like the differencial vents. On Grizzlys the rear diff is known to spew out some oil threw that vent when the rear diff gets hot. It lands on your exhaust headers producing burning oil smell. In this case it's simply the rear diff "burping" the excess oil. I'm not sure if this is common with the Kodiaks as they are a bit different with the wet brake system, but it mite be the same minor issue.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I agree with Vincent...did you replace the diff oil recently? Maybe over filled if you did, otherwise drain and refill with proper amount and try again. YOu should also be able to follow the tubes back to the rear diff fairly easily.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Did you go through a lot of water? Could be a bad seal filled the rear diff with water pushing the gear oil up the tube when it got warm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts