Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So first we rode for a total of 5hrs yesterday mud, rocks , long steep hills , etc . Over the winter I did a bunch of mods to mine and wife’s 17-16 kodiak eps 700’s. We went from stock to. Hers - 26 inch bear claw k299’s 1.5 mm shim & purple spring, ehs fuel tuner, diy rad relocate , shortened the intake tube and installed clamp on uni filter mod.

My 17 - 28 inch cst wildthangs , 1.5 mm shim & gold spring, ehs fuel tuner, diy rad relocate , shortened intake tube & clamp on uni filter mod.
First these machines are like night and day different now , way more responsive and the bottom end pull is just great I love the torque output. Using high range in the mud has improved tremendously , the engine bog I used to get is gone and low in the mud pulls like a freight train . So glad I kept the stock roller weights.
The wildthangs are just great I had it in 2wd in many mud holes. I hit one one that surprised me, it was only maybe 2 lengths of the quad long but very deep and thick thick mud. I hit it at 1/4 throttle and abruptly came to a halt. So I mashed the throttle ( in 2wd ) and rooster tails we’re flying and powered right out.

This was the only mud hole my wife didn’t hit that I did, she always puts hers in 4wd going through mud, she had zero problems following me . The classic bear claws for what they are a great tire , I run them on 3 of our quads.

I noticed at times at 1/2 - 3/4 throttle if I let right off I would get a bit of poping from the exhaust. So I’m going to increase the fuel a bit on my controller. I followed the wife all day and didn’t notice any popping from hers.
Moving the rads up to the rack was a god send washing the wheelers is way easier now , very little mud in the rads. Next weekend weather permitting we’re heading to a off road park for trucks and atvs , so more testing and I’ll hopefully get some action photos.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good feed back report. Why are you glad you kept the stock primary roller weights?
I liked the cruising rpm with stock weights, plus a single cylinder engine puts out a ton of low end torque. The stock weights are geared toward low end grunt, that I would much rather have in the mud, on the trails , etc.

Reactions: KodiakAfishyo

·
Registered
561 Posts
I liked the cruising rpm with stock weights, plus a single cylinder engine puts out a ton of low end torque. The stock weights are geared toward low end grunt, that I would much rather have in the mud, on the trails , etc.
Since both Kodiak’s are pretty much identical, tell me which secondary spring yoi like most and what you notice about the 2 different springs. I’d like to add one to mine this summer just trying to decide which color to go with. Thanks

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since both Kodiak’s are pretty much identical, tell me which secondary spring yoi like most and what you notice about the 2 different springs. I’d like to add one to mine this summer just trying to decide which color to go with. Thanks
Well I based my decision on weight and tire size. So first reason tire size my wife runs 26’s and I’m on 28 ‘s . Second i’m 6-3 280 and I also have a 3500 lb winch and I carry two ammo cans full of tools maybe 15-20 lbs each . So based on my tires and the extra weight the quad has to carry I went with the gold. I would say if your sticking with 26 inch zillas and not a big guy hauling a lot of extra weight the purple should work fine. If I can pry her off hers next weekend I may drive it to get a comparison.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts