Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to add some coolant to my 2019 Kodiak 450 and it seems to do that I need to remove the left side panel. Looking at the manual it seems that I need to remove the seat (done that before) but also the panel over the gas tank before I can pop off that left side panel to reach the refill. Two questions. Am I reading the manual correctly and are there any tricks or pitfalls I need to pay attention to to do this. Appreciate any advice or warnings.

Super Moderator
Looking at the manual all you have to remove is the one panel on the left hand side and not anything covering the tank.

You should be able to pull it straight up to remove it. There are tabs that fit into the front and rear to hold it in position.

I don't have a 450 so I am just going by the picture in the manual and how it was on my old 400 Kodiak.

Registered
Pretty sure the gas tank cover clips in to the tops of the side panels? im 99% sure itll have to be removed. Its simple though. Yamaha seems to design their plastics much better than anyone else in regards to ease of dis/assembly.

Just don't get anything in the gas tank. The shift lever will also have to be in a position other than park to remove the left side cover.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THe manual does say step 1 is "remove panel A" which suggests that the gas tank cover has to be removed first so it seems you are right. THX Anybody here done this recently?

Registered
I did it a couple weekends ago for an "almost end of season" deep cleaning. Mud gets eeeeeeverywhere.

Registered
Yes.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, task accomplished. The 2019 Kodiak is a bit different than the video above. Top panel comes off (after removing the seat) with 2 metric hex head bolts (in front and on the side of the handle bars and 2 "quick release" plastic pins behind the gas tank. These are not the usual quick release pins where you push down on the middle. You have to pry the middle of this pin up with a small flat head screwdriver and the whole thing pops off. If you have a push pin pliers use it but not necessary. Once that top cover is removed the panels just lift out after you free the rear tab. Put the shift in reverse though, park won't allow you to remove the top panrl (as the manual points out!). .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts