Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice a definite harsh vibration at the rear while defending while the engine deceleration is functioning. I believe that I read a post about this coming from the heat shroud because of the 'cheap ' hose clamps. However I don't notice this on a similarly new Kodiac 450. Any ideas before I embarrass myself taking it in for nothing? By the way the engine braking on the 450 is simply superb. Am thrilled with the Kodiacs all round excellence. Will work them very hard..but no mud holes or submarine activity for me. L lets go climb some hills.

·
Registered
457 Posts
You need to clarify if it is a noise, or a vibration. A noise can come from the heat shield rubbing on the frame or something.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Are you refering to a 700?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Noticed this on th Kodiac 700 only. Thanks for any feedback I'm
You need to clarify if it is a noise, or a vibration. A noise can come from the heat shield rubbing on the frame or something.
I will spend time on the 700 and try to identify it precisely. Will post when I have something more intelligent to respond. Thanks so much for your response. Love the new Kodiac. My first time on any online forum.. afraid my social media skills are nonexistent.
Are you refering to a 700?
Yes. Only notice the metallic sound like a scraping sound when descending my step driveway with the engine deceleration operating. Sounds very different than the 450. Probably just the mechanical sounds of the drive train. However it sounds like it's under the seat towards the rear. Nothing loose I can identify. I had read on a posting that the heat shield is vibrating secondary to the cheap hose clamps holding the shield on the muffler. Doesn't seem loose to me . Has anyone else noticed this metallic grating sound with the engine braking activated down a long descent? Probably just let the new ride settle in
. Appreciate any adeas/ feedback. RedKed.

·
Super Moderator
1,123 Posts
To send or post a picture it is best to have them hosted on a site such as Imgur, then open the photo and right click on it then copy where it says "copy image location" just left click on that. Come back here and click on the picture icon in the tool bar where it says insert image. Paste the image location and click insert and it will be here.

You can also click and drag the picture into the reply to box and it will be added as a picture in the post.

·
Registered
491 Posts
You can also just copy & paste any picture into this dialogue box where you usually type a message. Or click on the paperclip 📎 and browse to your pictures then select the picture you want.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To send or post a picture it is best to have them hosted on a site such as Imgur, then open the photo and right click on it then copy where it says "copy image location" just left click on that. Come back here and click on the picture icon in the tool bar where it says insert image. Paste the image location and click insert and it will be here.

You can also click and drag the picture into the reply to box and it will be added as a picture in the post.
Thanks for the help. I'm just an old Orthopedic Surgeon..not good with the subtitles of phone media. Will get my Son to help school me with the photo. I believe that the noise is originating in the final gear housing.. everything works great just a harsh sound. Rode to the creek on the edge of the property. This ride is AWESOME. I rode motocross way back in the day and I would have no need to change the clutch weights to Grizzly specs. The throttle response is perfect for the intended use, if I was racing then it would make sense. I understand the difference between track applications and real world usage. I'll keep the standard set up. Promise pictures of the Kodiacs and my rescue dog when my Son bails my *** out with pictures transmission.

·
Super Moderator
1,123 Posts
Wow a Orthopedic Surgeon on a forum where some may need your type of services in the future..I can see you being a asset already. (y)

Reactions: KodiakAfishyo

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I put together a severe Maissonuve fracture/dislocation just several days ago from a ATV rollover. Girlfriend had very little seat time but plenty of skill with the BARLY POP. Keeps me busy. Gotta say I have never been on a forum before. This is kinda cool
Hope you guys don't vote me off the ISLAND.

·
Super Moderator
1,123 Posts
All are welcome here and as I have said before we are all well behaved and help each other when we can.

Just after I posted the above post I remembered about all the muscle tears and injuries that happened back when we were riding 3 wheelers. So many riders would put their foot down on the ground when they were tipping over and then the back tire would run up their leg with the rider having no way to pull it out as the tire was grinding away.

I came close to being one of those statistics once, I quickly learned what not to do

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Absolutely correct. I raced MX back in the early days. Jim Pomeroy/ Brad Lackey/ Bob 'Hurricane ' Hannah. I remember the first time I rode a 3 wheeler... face planted into a tree. Split my helmet and never put my leg over one again. Riding fast is fun but Furious will land you in the Operating room and the cost of your ATV will seem trivial. Ride safe with a smile on your face. Red Ked

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
3 wheeler's had the most dangerous handling characteristics of any machine in history..OK the 1800 big wheel bike was worse. The handling of today's ATV'S is extraordinary. We raced with archaic suspensions in the day. However the laws of Physics still apply.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Absolutely correct. I raced MX back in the early days. Jim Pomeroy/ Brad Lackey/ Bob 'Hurricane ' Hannah. I remember the first time I rode a 3 wheeler... face planted into a tree. Split my helmet and never put my leg over one again. Riding fast is fun but Furious will land you in the Operating room and the cost of your ATV will seem trivial. Ride safe with a smile on your face. Red Ked
I remember those guy’s. That was back when I was racing motocross too on a YZ250, man that was a fun bike 🏍

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I couldn't tie his shoes on the track. By the way I noticed that the storage cubicle on top of the 700 tank is fabulous for keeping a grilled cheese sandwich piping hot.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
TRW. I have spent some time attempting to isolate the harsh metallic sound from the rear of the 700. It is definitely less noticeable, probably 1/4th the volume at this point. Coming from the rear differential ONLY on sudden or complete throttle lift off and only noticed at slow speeds. The noise when engine braking from higher speeds is no longer experienced. Most experienced mechanic at the dealership rode and felt certain that all is fine. Mechanical parts seating in? Is the rear differential heavier duty unit than the 450. Appreciate any thoughts. Also I keep reading criticism of the air filter and the need to replace is this a viable concern. Anybody? Afishyo?

·
Registered
613 Posts
The metalic clatter while decelerating, down hills or on loose terrain is normal. Both my 09 and 19 Grizzlys do it. Simply the various drive line components being worked back an fourth.

And yes the air filter system kinda sucks a bit but can easily be repaired with a bit of grease on the foam donut that butts up to the air box housing. I made a shim out of a margarine container that is the same diameter as the filter and installed at the back to help increase the pressure on the foam donut against the housing.

Reactions: Jssrvlz
1 - 20 of 29 Posts