Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new owner of a Kodiac 450 purchased in order to have a 2nd atv for my daughter to ride/grandson to learn on. After much research and consideration I purchased the 450. The complaints about the power deficit are unfounded. The quad does it all well. Not a fire breather but the girl gets it done in 4× / low. Will pull my Polar trailer loaded well past 1322 lbs. Oh by the way the Grizzly is also rated at 1322. However the 450 is so smooth and refined that I will always use it to get the mourning paper and the mail/ run the DOG!! All the while with coffee/beer in the left hand. The Yamaha so impressed me that I sold the reliable and hard working Polaris. A worthy tool but so very crude. Just picked up the new Kodiac 700 in the desert camo look. Wow... love the 450 however the 700is a different level. Don't regret the 450 purchase for the reasons above... but for 800$ more for the basic rides the choice of the 700 is a no brainers. If you a contemplating a Kodiac all males will want the 700. What a machine. Will update after some seat time. The vibration I have heard about is noticeable... appears to be the heat shroud on the muffler. I'm just an old dude who likes quality products that perform better than expected. RED KED.

Reactions: KodiakAfishyo

·
Registered
530 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Nice feed back on both. Send us some pictures of both, we like pictures.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hope the pictures came through.. appreciate the help. I can't tell you how much I like the new kodiac 700 .went without the PS and diff lock. In the Missouri creek area that I play in the diff lock will not save you. A winch is required and I will get a 3000 lb. with steel gears. Love the Kodiac steering and do not need PS for the relatively short saddle time I experience. LOVE THIS NEW RIDE. 700 base model. Everything I need. Sure hope the pictures come through.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IMG_3022.jpg

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Be careful out there. Let someone else visit the operating room. Red Ked.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And yes that's a milk crate zip tied to the front rack. Great for trash/ tools and the chain saw gas tank. Cheaped out and strapped a soft tool bag to the rear. 25$ total and can be removed in seconds. Cheap I can be.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hope the pictures came through.. appreciate the help. I can't tell you how much I like the new kodiac 700 .went without the PS and diff lock. In the Missouri creek area that I play in the diff lock will not save you. A winch is required and I will get a 3000 lb. with steel gears. Love the Kodiac steering and do not need PS for the relatively short saddle time I experience. LOVE THIS NEW RIDE. 700 base model. Everything I need. Sure hope the pictures come through.
Yup they came thru just fine 🤣

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help, sorry about the multiple pictures. Like I said..media challenged.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyone have any advice or strong opinions regarding winches for a 2020 Kodiac 700?

·
Super Moderator
1,250 Posts
What kind of riding are you planning on doing where you might get stuck?

A good rule of thumb is that you want a winch that is rated for twice what the vehicle weighs. I have a Warn 3500 on mine but I purchased my Kodiak with it already on. A lot from dealers will just be the Warn 2500 model.

I am partial to Warns. However there are a few others out there that are just as good but without the name notoriety of Warn

Whichever one you decided to get make sure that it has a mounting plate for your Kodiak. There are some out there that say that they will fit and they will after a lot of work to do so. On mine I had to pull the mounting plate off when I put the Pro Vantage snow plow mounts onto my Kodiak. There was a small piece that I had to grind off and then repaint to allow the plow mounts to go on properly and get everything back together. But it was a early mounts set up and I am sure that they have that taken care of

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The primary place for getting stuck is the creek running through my property. Missouri creek gravel that has been polished over eons. Not a hard pack aggregate, if your tires get close to the edge of a drop off you sink in and the application of power will often seem to accelerate the sinking. Seem to have about 2/10 ths of a second to respond properly or you are stuck. Since there are always trees nebras I reside in a forest a winch seems to make the most sense. When someone gets stuck don't they go to their winch? I have basically no experience with winches. I know that you need steel gears. And the proper mounting plate. Don't know much about winches. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have always had Warn and never had any issues them. I use my warn winch a lot especially in winter when snow plowing. Warn mounting plates are a perfect fit application in all of them that I have installed. If you go to their website you can look up the proper mounting plate for your exact 4 wheeler. that's what I did then used the part# on Amazon to buy it cheaper.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great help. Thanks so much. Love the Kodiacs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts