Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to this forum. I recently (FEB) purchased my 700, and now wondering if I made a good choice or not. Reason I'm saying this is now I'm reading on different sites that there have been numerous problems on these models? It's my understanding that the 2018 engines are not as good as before and Yamaha has gone back to the old engine for 2019? I only have about 11 hrs on mine and have noticed that it pops on deceleration and sometimes just cuts off without warning while idling. Any Knowledge you have will be appreciated, Thanks :confused:

·
Registered
699 Posts
The vast majority of reported issues with 708 were the 2016 models. Technicaly you probably have the best year of 708 anyone can own.

Deceleration pops are a known annoyance with these, as well as random low speed stalling.
Most report the stalling issues tends to settle down after the engine has passed it's "break in" period.

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
You also have to figure that 90% of those posting on forums are those that have had problems.

I have had zero problems with my 2016 Kodiak with the 708 engine.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I got a 2018 Kodiak 700 EPS back in march of last year and have really enjoyed it. I put a many hard miles on it last year and the machine performed admirably. On one of my rides that really tested the machine (logging skid road) i had to winch it out of a mudhole and also ripped the rear skid plate. I have also had a few sticks poke through the floorboards.

The engine has been reliable. Mine pops on deceleration as well and I have learned from this forum that it does that because of the AIS system and that a simple blocking off of one line can make that popping go away. I haven't had my machine die when idling, but have heard that particular symptom goes away on many machines after the initial break in.

I did have the airbox modified to use a clamp on style filter. other than that she is stock. I have some other modifications planned for the Beast, beefier skid plates with floorboard protection, a fuel optimizer to correct the rather lean factory settings, AIS delete and new tires.

There are lots of threads regarding the engine change on this forum. My 708 has been a good engine so far, and I expect and hope it will give me many years of service.

Happy trails!

: )B

Reactions: Primethious

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'm happy with mine and plan on keeping it.

I wanted the most reliable quad made, and the Yamaha was it....doesn't mean that some don't have a quirk or two and a few have issues that a good dealer would have addressed.

At least any of the normal quirks are easy fixes, and I never leave anything stock for long.

Changing/modding the air filter and blocking off the AIS are a must. The stock filter setup will let fine dust pass around it.

Getting better tires at least 1" taller should be near the top especially if you are more aggressive not because of traction, but because the carcass is too soft and unsupported in sharp turns.

Getting a good fuel tuner on any bike of any brand is a must. All bikes now days are extremely lean and need to be corrected.

A 2R racing tip is an inexpensive way to get a nice exhaust sound, or just do a good slip on muffler.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hello, I'm new to this forum. I recently (FEB) purchased my 700, and now wondering if I made a good choice or not. Reason I'm saying this is now I'm reading on different sites that there have been numerous problems on these models? It's my understanding that the 2018 engines are not as good as before and Yamaha has gone back to the old engine for 2019? I only have about 11 hrs on mine and have noticed that it pops on deceleration and sometimes just cuts off without warning while idling. Any Knowledge you have will be appreciated, Thanks :confused:
Hello Dane, congratulations on your new ATV! We followed the break in recommendations on our 2016 700's and changed fluids like directed. Now 2.5 years later our two Kodiaks run like champs. Mine is the plow machine and it is super in the snow. Both popped when new but that seems to have stopped after a few months, neither machine stalls at low speed.

Web forums for ATV's and vehicles can sound like there are a lot of issues, and as many have observed before me, the people that have no issues with their machines just don't post as much...

Enjoy your new Kodiak!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've put close to 1500 miles on my '16 kodiack and havent hadnt any major issues--i did get a couple stalls when idling but they were so few and far between that it wasnt a problem

·
Registered
8 Posts
I too just bought a 2018 eps in January and had some concerns but got such a good deal on it I went with it. I got 50 hours on it now, and love it, maintain it like owners manual says and ride it and enjoy it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts