Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled my Kodiak out this weekend to get ready for the snow. I've been working 12 hour nights since last November so it's been sitting a lot. Anyway, I noticed I couldn't roll it in neutral and when in gear, as soon as I let off the throttle the rear wheels start to drag on gravel and grass (loose conditions). I don't have time to work on it myself, let alone diagnose the problem. But can anyone steer me in the right direction or has this happened to anyone before? I know it's going to end up at a mechanic, because of time restraints and I'm trying have some what of an idea as to what it needs.
I was thinking the rear brake is seized.

Super Moderator
Do you have a 700 or a 450?

The 700 uses a wet brake just in front of the rear end and shouldn't be a problem since it is a sealed system. I'm not sure on the 450.

Are you sure that you are in neutral, with the neutral light coming on?

Can you start it using the bypass by pulling in on the rear brake handle on the handle bar? And if it can be started does it move?

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a 700. And it is in neutral when when I try to push it. I know it's a wet brake, and I feel like it's probably fine, but it honestly feels like the brakes or rear end is dragging. It feels like it takes higher rpms to get it moving now as well.

Registered
How long did this sit since you last used it, I have no idea, but it sounds like maybe the belt or clutches might not be moving to full neutral. Did you drive it much like this?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's been sitting since atleast March. It's been moved 15 feet since then. And I don't remember it doing this last time I used it.

Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27鈥 Reptiles, 1鈥 wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
I know you are planning to have a shop look at it, but just make sure there isn鈥檛 mud or debris on the rear brake foot lever and cable. Seems fairly common to get some minor brake problems from mud getting caked in there. That鈥檚 a 20 second look鈥
If it鈥檚 in neutral, do you get the 2-3 inches of roll before dragging? Or is it immediately tight? Just curious鈥

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No roll, just a rock. As for mud, I doubt it as it hasn't seen any mud. I will look for corrosion as it is used to push snow.

Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27鈥 Reptiles, 1鈥 wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
Really sounds like the brake. There is usually just a tiny amount of play in the driveline. If you got no play, I鈥檓 guessing it鈥檚 locked at the brake. Also, they way you described taking more power to move.

Grizzled Mod
I know you are planning to have a shop look at it, but just make sure there isn鈥檛 mud or debris on the rear brake foot lever and cable. Seems fairly common to get some minor brake problems from mud getting caked in there. That鈥檚 a 20 second look鈥
definitely take a look at this. Although I wasn鈥檛 quite sure if the Kodiak had the rear brake foot lever, but sounds like it does. Anyway, I recently had this happen where the foot lever did not pivot as it was gunked up. When I would press on the foot lever, obviously the left (rear) brake hand lever feels like there is no pressure. When I let off of the foot lever, the left brake lever pressure did not return until I forced the foot lever back to its original position where the brake is not applied. That means the rear brake is still applied, obviously. I had to clean out that foot lever pivot area before it was back to normal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts