Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking of getting a rear bag for the Kodiak. So many of these things out there it is a chore trying to go through reviews trying to figure out what's good, great, and crap.

Any you go look at have reviews ranging from one reviewer stating the bag to be a perfect gift from Heaven to another reviewer saying this one gave my family cancer...

Any suggestions?

Super Moderator
I'm in the same predicament.

I even went into the Rocky Mountain ATV store hoping that they would have them on display but they didn't. I had them pull around 10 of the bags that they stocked out of the warehouse for me to open up in the store. Out of those 10 I didn't find one that I liked.

So I am still using my old bag that is over 20 years old. It is faded and almost gray from it's original black but it is 1000 times better than any of the new ones on the market.

Registered
Everyone has a different need or preference. I haven鈥檛 really found anything I like either to replace my old one. I like something that can be quick to remove and put on. If you want a hard shell type the Yamaha cargo boxes front or rear that I saw at a dealer seemed pretty decent.

Registered
I couldnt resist the rigid toolbox for the rear. Being around 40 dollars. With a ratchet strap over it

I was in the market for a bag too. But afraid it will rip, then having to spend more.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions.

Still haven't seen one I like, all seems to have one or two things that put me off...

Maybe I tend to just carry too much crap with me all the time! :)

Super Moderator
My problem with most of the bags today is that they are not made out of a canvas but have more plastics in them that crack and break when cold and over time.

The bag that I have now is heavy canvas with heavy duty zippers. I usually have to treat the zippers once or twice a year with WD40 to keep them operating but that is it. It also has a nice pad in it for when I do carry a passenger so that their rear end doesn't get rack marks in it.

About the only one that I have found that I even like are the hard plastic boxes that have a backrest but then they stick up a foot above the bike and I don't like that since I usually transport my Kodiak on the top of the bed rails of my truck.

One day I'll have to break down and get some kind of new one but hopefully not for a while now.

Registered
The biggest issue I had with the cargo bags was cleaning them. The canvas bags get filthy and are hard to clean. The fake leather ones are easier to clean but don't weather too well and still are harder to clean than a hard box.
I'm happy with my Yamaha rear cargo box. It can handle the power washer and the rubber latches don't rattle on the trail. I use a cargo blanket to fill up any loose areas and keep it packed tight.
It took a couple of rides to get used to it and not bang it on the side of trees but now I don't notice it.

Registered
About 10 years ago, a friend of mine was building a box for the back of his ATV and gave up, when his neighbor through out a travel bag. It was one of those hard case ones with wheels and a slide out handle. He attached some Velcro to a plywood base on his rack, then sewed some Velcro on the case, and he has what he thinks is a great bag. He has several compartments, it is heavy duty, and works well. It is waterproof. He has to pull hard to get it off, but he rarely takes it off.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Been looking at this Moose bag, about $140 on Ebay..

Attachments

Registered
Been looking at this Moose bag, about $140 on Ebay..

That is the bag I have that I linked above. It appeared to be the best built bag I could find and the quality seems to be good with heavy zippers and lots of storage. The sides are reinforced with a ABS plastic sewn in between the outer cover and the liner so it wont sag like other bags. The seat is about 2" thick and made of a hard foam as best as I can tell.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
That is the bag I have that I linked above. It appeared to be the best built bag I could find and the quality seems to be good with heavy zippers and lots of storage. The sides are reinforced with a ABS plastic sewn in between the outer cover and the liner so it wont sag like other bags. The seat is about 2" thick and made of a hard foam as best as I can tell.
Ha! I just clicked your link, that's it! How long have you had yours? How well does it do at keeping your stuff dry?

Registered
Ha! I just clicked your link, that's it! How long have you had yours? How well does it do at keeping your stuff dry?

In all honesty I have only had my Kodiak about a month and only have 9 miles on it so far ...lol It seems to be a water repellent 'duck" type cloth/canvas on the outside with an inner liner. I had a pair of seat covers made of similar material but lighter weight that water would just roll off of.

Registered
In all honesty I have only had my Kodiak about a month and only have 9 miles on it so far ...lol It seems to be a water repellent 'duck" type cloth/canvas on the outside with an inner liner. I had a pair of seat covers made of similar material but lighter weight that water would just roll off of.
9 miles in a month???????? I couldn't get off mine the first month.:grin2:
It must be eating at you to go riding. I did 12 miles last week and did not go farther only because it was so cold I could no longer feel my fingers. I know, between weather and more important things like family and work our time in the saddle is limited. Hope you get out soon and get it broke in.

Super Moderator
I looked at the reviews for that bag on a couple of sites.

One said that it is water repellent and not resistant. In other words water will get into it either through the material or sippers. You can always spray it with silicon spray that you can pick up at Walmart and sporting goods dealers to try and keep things drier.

The only way that I have seen to actually keep water out of a cargo carrier on a ATV is to get a hard plastic or metal box. I have pretty much just came to the conclusion to not put anything I want to keep dry into any canvas type bag on a ATV. And if I do it is inside a plastic zip lock bag.

Registered
9 miles in a month???????? I couldn't get off mine the first month.:grin2:
It must be eating at you to go riding. I did 12 miles last week and did not go farther only because it was so cold I could no longer feel my fingers. I know, between weather and more important things like family and work our time in the saddle is limited. Hope you get out soon and get it broke in.

Time and weather have not been nice to me. We had almost two weeks of sub zero weather and what time I did have was indeed occupied by other responsibilities,adulting sucks some times..lol
The next time I have it out will be to bring it to work and put the new Kenda Bear Claw HTR's on it.

<<<Works at a tire shop as the mechanic alignment tech

Registered
Discussion Starter #17

Registered
That box does look pretty killer. And lots of room for just about anything. End up packing it with a blanket or towels so everything isnt flying around馃槃

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
That box does look pretty killer. And lots of room for just about anything. End up packing it with a blanket or towels so everything isnt flying around馃槃
Yep I ordered that one, should be in Sat. That's not a bad idea, have been thinking of putting a piece of old carpet in there to line the floor.

Registered
Wow, even big enough for 2 helmets.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts