Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #1
So today I went to change out the rear arm grease fittings and picked up some 45 degree 6mmx1 fittings.

To my surprise the 6mmx1 fittings don't fit and it appears that the actual fitting might be a 6mmx.75.

So to those that might of changed them out from a straight fitting to a 45 what is the correct size and if they are 6mmx.75 where did you find them.

Registered
So today I went to change out the rear arm grease fittings and picked up some 45 degree 6mmx1 fittings.

To my surprise the 6mmx1 fittings don't fit and it appears that the actual fitting might be a 6mmx.75.

So to those that might of changed them out from a straight fitting to a 45 what is the correct size and if they are 6mmx.75 where did you find them.
I bought mine at a small hardware store here in town. I specifically asked for 6mmx1 and that's what they bagged up for me. I had no issues.

Registered
Only thing with the 45 zerks is when tightened all the way down they may not be at the exact angle you want. I just turn them a little. Grease, and snug the back down.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #4
Ya, I bought some M6x1's and they are slightly too big. I even dragged out my micrometer and measured them and they were just a little bit different.

Perhaps the box that they got it out of was miss marked or somebody put the wrong ones back into the box but when I pulled up the part number that was on my invoice they said that they were M6x1's. I can understand one being off but not all 4 that I just bought.

I'll head back to NAPA tomorrow with one that I'll pull out of the Kodiak and see if we can match them up.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #5
I picked up some different m6x1 45's and they went right in. I have no idea what they sold me at the parts store but they will go back tomorrow.

As for the direction that they face I was able to get them tight and pointed in a direction where I can get on them straight. I also found that my fat fingers don't work too well trying to get one of these fittings started in a tight spot but got it done.

Registered
I picked up some different m6x1 45's and they went right in. I have no idea what they sold me at the parts store but they will go back tomorrow.

As for the direction that they face I was able to get them tight and pointed in a direction where I can get on them straight. I also found that my fat fingers don't work too well trying to get one of these fittings started in a tight spot but got it done.
Glad it worked out. I don't have fat fingers and it still took a little effort. Do you know why they suggest having the dealer grease the steering?

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #7
I think that it just has to do with any maintenance and checks on the Kodiak, they recommend that the dealer does all of it.

One plus to having a dealer do it is that they should be using factory trained mechanics to check things along with them knowing just what to check if a part is about to fail. Mind you I said "factory trained" Now it will depend on the dealer if their mechanics are actually factory trained or not. I know that the nearest one to me hires mechanics but they go to the service or repair manual for information and I doubt that they have ever seen a factory mechanic much less trained under one.

Now if you have a EPS model all bets are off on what they might look at along with lubricating parts.

Registered
I think that it just has to do with any maintenance and checks on the Kodiak, they recommend that the dealer does all of it.

One plus to having a dealer do it is that they should be using factory trained mechanics to check things along with them knowing just what to check if a part is about to fail. Mind you I said "factory trained" Now it will depend on the dealer if their mechanics are actually factory trained or not. I know that the nearest one to me hires mechanics but they go to the service or repair manual for information and I doubt that they have ever seen a factory mechanic much less trained under one.

Now if you have a EPS model all bets are off on what they might look at along with lubricating parts.
The dealer I brought mine from have no clue about these machines. The Service Manager seems to change every six months and they lay all but one mechanic off every winter. I'm afraid to ask what hoist quals are. I'll be driving another 100 miles south into Seattle for anything I can't tackle myself.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #9
That is where I said that they should be using factory trained mechanic. I never said that all of them did. I know that the closest dealer to me has 2 factory trained techs and 3 or 4 off the street kids working on the machines that are brought in.

As for what techs a dealership keep during the winter, it would all depend on their work load. If they are primarily a motorcycle shop in a cold climate and they don't have the work coming in during the winter it is a no brainier to lay off a few personnel until the work picks up. It's actually a good business practice, but don't tell the laid off employees that.

It is too bad that we all don't have a fantastic shop in our neighborhood but it is supply and demand. And usually businesses like the one that you describe usually don't last very long.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts