Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts
Yes couldn't pay me to put 14" wheels on atv. To rough a ride, and not enough cushion for the rim on impacts.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Does 14's with 27's really change the ride that much? I can see it making some difference but not so much that I cant make a few suspension adjustments to continue? I cant say to much as I am still riding on the stock maxxis 2 ply cheap tires that feel like jello but I know I am losing some side wall.

I figured with taking my shocks down an extra notch would make all the difference.

There are a few guys on here that have rode both setups, for example, a 26x12 & 26x14. The 14" is rougher for sure. A slight shock change won't help that much, all you are doing with the shock is changing the preload, that's not going to help much. Your tire sidewall is what absorbs most small impacts, before your suspension ever moves.
I'm in the same boat with my truck, it came with 20" rims, while they look awesome, the ride is much softer on 17", I know I'll lose the on rail like handling, but I won't feel every crack in the road, and won't fear curb rash near as bad. Lol

Does 14's with 27's really change the ride that much? Ihe can see it making some difference but not so much that I cant make a few suspension adjustments to continue? I cant say to much as I am still riding on the stock maxxis 2 ply cheap tires that feel like jello but I know I am losing some side wall.

I figured with taking my shocks down an extra notch would make all the difference.
Yes it does matter. My buddy rides 27 on 14" wheels and his Grizzly rides rougher then my 26" on 12" wheels. Softening the shock sping pre load mite help out some....

Some members on the Grizzlycentral forum, who baught 14" wheels and tires for the "cooler look" have also complained of the harsher ride that comes with it.

Reactions: CanadianKodiak700
Well I am glad I am not getting rid of my 12's at same time. My thought Process for 14s was for plowing woods and such for extra ground clearance. I do not do a lot of trail riding. I wish I could do more, Job takes up to much time. Plus being in Northern Wisco winter takes up a 3rd of the year so I figured the 14s with zillas would be great for plowing lol.

Well I am glad I am not getting rid of my 12's at same time. My thought Process for 14s was for plowing woods and such for extra ground clearance. I do not do a lot of trail riding. I wish I could do more, Job takes up to much time. Plus being in Northern Wisco winter takes up a 3rd of the year so I figured the 14s with zillas would be great for plowing lol.
I've got 27" zillas on my 12" stock rims. Over a foot of clearance and I plow with it trouble free.

Would you really gain any ground clearance if you gain 2” of wheel size and loose nearly 2” of sidewall? Something to think about.

Rim size has nothing to do with ground clearance. Overall diameter of the tire is where you gain your clearance. A 26x12 and a 26x14 will still have the same ground clearance. Just one is missing 1 extra inch of cushion between the ground and the rim.

I didn't realize when I made the purchase that the 14s cut the side wall that much. But I also figure making the jump from the stock 25 that comes when you buy it on 12s to 27s on 14s will still offer some life an I should be sacrificing to much sidewall. But that could be my inexperience talking.

I didn't realize when I made the purchase that the 14s cut the side wall that much. But I also figure making the jump from the stock 25 that comes when you buy it on 12s to 27s on 14s will still offer some life an I should be sacrificing to much sidewall. But that could be my inexperience talking.
You will be fine I’m sure. Yes a 14” rim with a 27” tires going be a bit of a harsher ride. But many machines run that setup fine.

Before my kodiak I rode my wife’s sportsman for ATV rides (I was more a two wheeled off roader). I put 26” tires on 12” rims on her sportsman 570. A buddy of mine has a sportsman 570sp, that machine has 26” tires on 14” rims. Riding both back to back it’s hard to feel any difference honestly though they do have different front suspensions (wifes has McPherson struts and buddies has the double a arms).

That being said both those sportsman’s offer a better ride than my kodiak as well. Just less grunt, far more weight, far less reliable, and much harder to work on.

For myself when comes time to get new tires I will be opting for 27” zillas on my stock rims.

Do you get any negative camber when doing this on the rears. I put 27" ties and 14" rims on stock Kodiak and camber is major negative now.
Camber is not effected due to tire or wheel size...low profile or monster sidewall.
Weight on top of the machine or adjusting the preload can do it.
If you lift or lower the suspension (not tires) then the camber is also effected.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.