Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: Tire size and brand

Thinking about replacing my tires this year.

First question: Will bumping the tires up a size to 26 x 9 and 26 x 11 (from the OEM 25 x 8 and 25 x 10) cause much wear and tear? I ask this since I went up a size or two way back when on my Honda Foreman and it seemed like I was constantly replacing wheel bearings.

Second question: Anyone have any good or bad experiences with Sedonas? Thinking about one of their 8 ply tires . . .

·
Registered
699 Posts
26x9 and 26x11 is very popular and excellent size to upgrade to on any Atv. I myself run PitBull Growlers of these size and believe they are the ideal size for the vast majority of us out there.

And no you will not cause much if any more wear and tear on the machine then using the crappy stock tires. Though a commun observation that many do observe is a bit of off the line snap or power loss when upgrading to larger and heavier tires.. Witch is a none issue as their are easy and cheap clutch mods to compensate for that.

As fare as what brands are best, that a hole other can a worms......

·
Registered
699 Posts
I've got 27x9 and 27x11 on mine. With no issues.
If not 26" I would definitely consider 27s next.
Mite even try 10" wides all around in either 26 or 27 if I ever end up with aftermarket wheels. Then I could rotate tires every year.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Put the tires you like, and deal with the sheave ratios if needed.

The 26's I have are epic for trail riding...of course I only have the stock tires to compare.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Generally when you go to a larger tire or wheel diameter your speedometer will be inaccurate by showing slower speed and less miles traveled. I saw this first hand on my truck by going to a larger tire, it now records 9th's of a mile for every mile traveled and my gps speed shows 3-4 mph faster than my truck speedometer on the hi-way. Have you guys noticed this on your Kodiaks?

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
Anytime you go to a larger diameter tire your speedometer and odometer is going to be off. Just how much depends on the difference in tire size.

Most newer trucks since the mid 90's can be calibrated to reflect the larger tire size. Older truck need to have a different gear place into the transmission where the speedometer cable connects in. The newer trucks use electronic signals instead of a cable where they can be calibrated

·
Registered
530 Posts
What do you guy's like about the the larger tire size? What handling characteristics do you feel are due to the tire size increase vs just having a better tire and tread design? I ask because I too would like to upgrade my tires eventually and I agree that there are far better tires out there and wondering if anything is contributed to the increase in size?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hello,
This is my first post.
My Kodiak is less than 2 months old and I'm already looking at new tires. I'm not really dissatisfied with the stock ones but I think there's some performance increase with some of the aftermarket tires.
I load my Kodiak into the back of my Chevy Colorado and I noticed that the front tires just barely pass between the wheel wells. When I backed in the rear tires bent the wheel wells in slightly. What this means for me is that the stock tire size is probably what I have to stick with.
I'm really enjoying my Kodiak so far!!!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Hello,
This is my first post.
My Kodiak is less than 2 months old and I'm already looking at new tires. I'm not really dissatisfied with the stock ones but I think there's some performance increase with some of the aftermarket tires.
I load my Kodiak into the back of my Chevy Colorado and I noticed that the front tires just barely pass between the wheel wells. When I backed in the rear tires bent the wheel wells in slightly. What this means for me is that the stock tire size is probably what I have to stick with.
I'm really enjoying my Kodiak so far!!!
That's sucks your limited in tire sizes cause your pick up box.

Surprisingly even with big 26 X 9, 26 X 11" PitBull Growler, 1" billet wheels spacers at all four corners and a 6" over fender wide body kit. My quad still fits in the back of my Ridgeline.

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
That looks like a tight fit. I can go wider and still fit in the truck but I may have to make something to force the tires to go up and over the wheel wells instead of trying to fit in between them. I like the idea of going with the same size you have.
I like the looks of your Growlers. How well have they been working for you?
Also, do the fender flares cause the vehicle to be over 50" wide? Where I ride they have posts at the trailhead limiting the width of vehicles going through. It seems like my Kodiak barely fits through now. I wondered if the fender flares would scrape.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I
That looks like a tight fit. I can go wider and still fit in the truck but I may have to make something to force the tires to go up and over the wheel wells instead of trying to fit in between them. I like the idea of going with the same size you have.
I like the looks of your Growlers. How well have they been working for you?
Also, do the fender flares cause the vehicle to be over 50" wide? Where I ride they have posts at the trailhead limiting the width of vehicles going through. It seems like my Kodiak barely fits through now. I wondered if the fender flares would scrape.
Ya, with my big *** over fenders I believe I'm at 53" wide.

As fare as my PitBull Growlers absolutely love them! I drive year round threw -30c to +35c threw swamps, mud, rocks, gravel, over fallen trees, threw deep snow, ice, slush, steep muddy hills, frozen lakes and often with a passager, you name it I ride threw it year round. I like to drive hard and aggressive and these things handle awesome and never disappoint. Even with 3000+ kms of hard riding they're barely worn down. Personally I think 26" 9 fronts 11" rears are an ideal size for the vast majority of us.

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
365 days a year? wow! Do you deliver mail on that thing? I wish I could get that much time riding mine!

I really like the looks of those Growlers!!!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Has anybody heard of Free Country branded tires? These tires have an interesting tread pattern but the off brand makes me think they'll have poor quality control. They look good though.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Went with New Maxxis Zillas... 26x11x12 rear & 26x9x12 front. put 20 miles on them last weekend and love them. Smooth ride too, I was impressed.

Attachments

·
Registered
699 Posts
Went with New Maxxis Zillas... 26x11x12 rear & 26x9x12 front. put 20 miles on them last weekend and love them. Smooth ride too, I was impressed.
Awesome! Glad you like your zillas. They seem to be great tire with many advantages and lots of riders swear by them.

·
Super Moderator
288 Posts
I just put a set of Reptil radials on. 26x9/11-12.
Love these so far. Smooth as butter. Grip like glue, even on wet slimy rocks and logs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
699 Posts
Here's an update on the Tusk Mudforce tires. I've got less than 200 miles on them and they already show tread wear. Looks like I'm not going to get too many miles off of them. Next time I'm going for the Pitbull Growlers.
Crummy.

I'm at 2500 hard miles on my 26" Growlers and they still look great.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 51 Posts