Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RE: Jumped from the Red Team to the Blue Team

Greetings from Maine . . .

New Kodiak 700 owner as of today . . . picked up my 2017 Blue 700 EPS with fancy schmancy wheels today after selling my 2002 Honda Foreman 450S with over 7,000 miles (well kilometers since I bought it in New Brunswick, Canada all those many years ago.)

Jumped ship to Yamaha with a little bit of trepidation since a) the Honda was really, really tough and reliable (although it was starting to have small issues which seemed to be the start of me being nickle and dimed, b) I hate change, c) I hate spending money and d) the closest Yamaha dealer to me did not impress me (at least their sales department.)

However, in the research I did and asking around it seemed as though Yamahas are right up there with Honda in terms of reliability . . . coupled with the fact that Hondas are quite expensive for what they offer with features (the Rubicon was the closest I could find to match up with the Kodiak and yet it was far less powerful and much more expensive) . . . and so . . . I jumped to Yamaha.

To be quite frank while I have less than 10 minutes seat time the specs behind the Kodiak make it seem like this machine was built for exactly what I need -- a working quad (hauling firewood, yard work, plowing snow, hauling lumber and gravel for the ATV Club, etc.) and yet offering up a decent ride and performance for riding the trail when the work is done.

Looked at the aforementioned Honda Rubicon and it looked good, but to get the features I wanted would have cost me quite a bit more than the Kodiak and it would have been a lot less power. Demoed a Polaris 570 SP and while it rode nice it just felt "cheap" -- not sure why, can't really say what made me feel this way (although seeing the placement of the battery was one of the reasons.)

Ended up driving 3 1/2 hours for this quad . . . due to a co-worker's recommendation and a decent price.

--

I did have one quick question though. I have the 700 EPS unit which I wanted due to the gauge package, extra light, adjustable shocks and EPS -- most of which are features that I feel would benefit me while working. However, it came with a tongue and not a receiver hitch . . . I was under the assumption that the 2017 EPS models all came with a receiver hitch. Dealer said some EPS units came through with the tongue and some came through with the receiver hitch. Any truth to this?

Follow up question: Is there any significant benefit to having the receiver hitch vs. tongue?

·
Registered
627 Posts
I have yet to see one with a tongue. That is the base model offering. I would insist on the boxed receiver if I was buying it.

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
Welcome to the site.

As to advantages of the receiver over the tongue hitch, do you tow anything? On my old 2000 Kodiak all I had was the tongue and I had no problem towing whatever I wanted to tow. The receiver is nice in that you can change out what you have connected in it from a tow hook to the ball mount.

Personally I would push to get the receiver from the dealer, even if you have to mount it yourself. It takes all of 5 minutes to do it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What part of Maine are you from
I would say Central Maine . . . but I guess that depends on where in Maine you live . . . and if you consider Central Maine to be truly in the middle geographically or by population.

Short answer: Unity, Maine (although most folks probably are more familiar with the City where I work -- Bangor (aka Stephen King-ville.)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the site.

As to advantages of the receiver over the tongue hitch, do you tow anything? On my old 2000 Kodiak all I had was the tongue and I had no problem towing whatever I wanted to tow. The receiver is nice in that you can change out what you have connected in it from a tow hook to the ball mount.

Personally I would push to get the receiver from the dealer, even if you have to mount it yourself. It takes all of 5 minutes to do it.
After reading your post and the one before this . . . and going on line and reading not once, but twice, that the EPS comes standard with a receiver hitch I called the dealer and he said he would make it right and order one and ship it down to me.

He said he checked out a few of the other EPS Kodiaks and said some had the tongue and some had the receiver hitch . . . which seems mighty odd to me.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In other news I am slowly getting used to the new machine which is so much different than my old Foreman . . . the biggest difference (and I think it's a good thing) is getting used to the IRS vs. straight axle. I'm not use to the plusher and "rolling" vs. the very stiff and planted/jarring ride of the Foreman.

Size seems about the same -- both in the dimensions and seat height (which was kind of important to me).

Also seems noisier to me . . . not sure if that is just because I'm not use to the sound of the CVT vs. shifting with my old Foreman and it staying in that one gear until I shifted up or down.

---

I did have a follow up question . . . and while I have been riding ATVs since the 1990s the whole IRS, CVT, Yamaha experience is so much different so bear with me . . .

While riding down the road I noticed that while going straight it appeared as though my handlebars were crooked ever so slightly to the left . . . not a huge amount mind you . . . but enough to notice that the headlight and handlebars were not pointed straight on.

I did notice two of the tires on the right side were down a bit on air (less than 1 psi) . . . I filled them up, but haven't tested the ATV. Wondering if this might be the crowned road, tire pressure . . . or is it just a quirk?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Sounds like air pressure and the road crown to me. You think your bike is load ride a Polaris they are terrible loud. My brother has one and I wouldn't take it if he gave it to me.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like air pressure and the road crown to me. You think your bike is load ride a Polaris they are terrible loud. My brother has one and I wouldn't take it if he gave it to me.
Hehheh . . . closest ATV dealer to me (maybe 2-3 miles away) is a Polaris dealer. They've always been a big supporter of our Club and the guys there are decent, so I did test drive a 570 SP. It was without a doubt the sharpest looking ATV I looked at and had a lot of nice stuff -- best gauge package, sharp looking wheels and paint, etc. . . . but it just looked cheap and sounded like it was going to rattle apart.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Side note: I neglected to mention that I am also the Club President of our local ATV Club . . . the Thorndike Trail Blazers ATV Club. It's a small club and a small trail system (about 25 miles if you factor in access routes) . . . but we're slowly and surely growing our trail system with the intention of connecting up to one or two other local clubs. If for some reason you are so inclined . . . you can find us on Facebook.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts