Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RE: Handles off center?

Quick question . . . something that has been just a bit irksome (in the whole scheme of life of course there are a lot of more important issues and concerns).

Ever since Day 1 when I picked up my ATV (about a month or so ago) when going down the road or in my garage the handle bars are off center just a dite . . . while driving I don't tend to think of it very often unless I look down and see that it looks like I should be heading towards the middle of the road/trail even though I am going straight.

The question: Is this something easy enough to fix? My dealer is located 3 1/2-4 hours away so I am hoping this may be a quick drop off and fix vs. leaving it there and having to return.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I had some issues with what I called "dealer set up", some issues very sloppy, and missing some bolts and my dust guards on my rear brakes were bent. So while I like the machine, I think when asked I will have to mention that fit and finish needs some work.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Yes it's a simple tie rod adjustment, but you don't just start turning things until your aware of what effects every turn of the tie rod shafts do.

My 19 Grizzly was way out streight from the dealer. (complete BS!) Original owner drove it like for a year. (why?) I immediately got annoyed by it and adjusted the tie rods by increments and within two rides it's been streight and true for 700 miles. now. Though luckily toe in was fine in my case witch simplified alot

It's not a dealer must item but you need to rap your head around it before attempting.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I also got this issue. Brand-new '20 Kodiak 700 EPS. When the handlebar is straight, it is driving to the right - when driving straight the handlebar is tilted to the left. I've verified it with aiming stakes today: Put some wooden blocks below them to have them at middle height of the wheel hubs and checked that they run parallel by measuring their distance from each other on front and back of the Kodiak. Then put the handle in the position so that both front wheels have same distance to the aiming stakes. Toe-In seems OK at first view. It even looks a bit too much.
Got no workshop manual yet so I might ask my dealer to fix it. Although it is not that of a big issue it makes me thinking what else they might have forgotten to check.
Reinhold

right side:

left side:

Handlebar tilted left:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Baught mine used and it was the same. I simply readjusted the tie rods and corrected my steering. It's not hard to do but it's important that you rap your head around what your doing before hand.....mark the tie rods with a marker so you have reference from your starting point.

Looks like your left tie rod needs to be shortend one turn, and the right side lengthened one turn. ( From sitting perpective.) Start with that. If you do it right your steering will be atleast much closer to streight.

And remember 2 of the lock nuts are normal thread and 2 are reverse thread so keep that in mind. Don't remember witch is witch at the moment.

Reactions: JimP and RF70

·
Registered
376 Posts
Make sure you check the shock bolts.I just got mine back from loose bolts,had them check everything.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Getting old enough that I'm pretty sure my 'BOLTS' are getting a little loose...better check EM'.

Reactions: Jssrvlz

·
Registered
376 Posts
My bolt is o.k. its the nuts that are a little loose..

Reactions: fossil

·
Registered
428 Posts
😂 🤣

Reactions: Jssrvlz

·
Registered
376 Posts
That machine has different safety stickers. Whats that next to the key on the right?Is there a 12volt outlet?

·
Super Moderator
1,964 Posts
That machine has different safety stickers. Whats that next to the key on the right?Is there a 12volt outlet?
12 volt accessory outlet.

Yours should have one also.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Mine does but it looks different.Could be my eyes to ..

·
Registered
376 Posts
The black rectangle..

·
Super Moderator
1,964 Posts
The black is just a shadow, the accessory outlet in in side it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts