Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RE: CV boot protection

Hit a rock hard the other day . . . got home and realized that one of my rear CV boot (A Arm) plastic guards had been torn off.

Doesn't seem like there are a whole lot of choices for replacement. OEM . . . Ricochet aluminum guards . . . Stick Stoppers. Anyone have experience with Ricochet or Stick Stoppers?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I put the entire ricochet set on mine. No more rattling plastic. I absolutely love it. The whole set weight is 35lbs. If you plan on doing just the Aarms you could have them on in 30min. I recommend doing everything.
How difficult are they to remove for servicing and fluid changes?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I put the entire ricochet set on mine. No more rattling plastic. I absolutely love it. The whole set weight is 35lbs. If you plan on doing just the Aarms you could have them on in 30min. I recommend doing everything.
They're easy to install, and probably easier to remove and reinstall after you've done it the first time. It took me a few hours on installation, but getting the machine off the ground and cleaned up before installing was envolved. There's designated holes for servicing(oil change). It took just a couple of minutes to remove the rear A-arm skids so I could replace the four grease zerks the other day. Either way they are well worth anytime involved removing them for any reason. Replacing the zerks to 45 degree was a huge plus.

How difficult are they to remove for servicing and fluid changes?
Pretty easy. All that gibberish above was me trying to reply to you. Still learning how to quote someone. Lol!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just looking for boot and A-arm protection . . . I leave my plow mount on year round as it was a royal pain to install and offers up decent skid protection for the terrain I ride on.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Pretty easy. All that gibberish above was me trying to reply to you. Still learning how to quote someone. Lol!
Hah! No worries, if it was easy anybody could do it :wink2:

I would love to have a set of full plates but not in the budget and that money tree just doesn't grow fast enough :frown2:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just ordered the front and back A-arm/CV boot protection guards . . . as mentioned I have a decent steel plow mount that covers most everything else underneath (and what little it doesn't cover the original plastic skid plate covers.)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: Put the boot protection on yesterday.

I was pretty impressed with the quality and thinking that went into this product . . . small things that make a big difference such as welded nuts so you don't have to try to hold the nut in place in tight spots.

I was a bit surprised with what little was holding on the OEM boot protection . . . pretty much one bolt per guard and a plastic clip built into the guard that held it on to the frame.

The Ricochet set up had a minimum of three connections (four on the front) to hold the guard in place and in the case of the rear guards uses the OEM bolt hole for one of those connections.

Since I am a mechanical idiot with fat fingers and it was hot and humid, it took me a little longer than 15 minutes to install them, but I think I was done in an hour or so as I took my time.

Only drawback was the installation instructions were pretty much non-existent . . . watching a You Tube video helped show how to set things up though and it was pretty self-explanatory after one sees how the connections are made.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sounds like I need to pick up a set. Did you do any shopping around, where is the cheapest place to find them?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts