Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Kodiak 700 with less than 400 miles. From day one it's had a "rattle" or "knocking sound" coming from the engine or transmission area. The service manager and mechanic at the dealer listened to it and both said it could be from the clutch. I've been trying to work with the Yamaha Corporation to get them to look at it and fix it. They say if everything is within specs I will have to pay for the inspection.
My position is I'm sure the engine/transmission was not designed and engineered to make such a noise.

When reading these posts in this Forum it sounds like mine is not an unusual problem. Who else out there has a Kodiak or Grizzly that makes unusual noise?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I may have around 300 miles on my machine and it has a slight rattle and knocking. It may be a little quieter from the day that I brought it home. Everything that I've ever read says that it's normal. I'm so used to it I don't notice it anymore .

·
Registered
342 Posts
I haven't really noticed it on mine probably because my street bike makes so much noise (normal for it).
Have your valve clearances checked.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you really believe there is something wrong with your machine maybe you should buy an extended warranty for it and then ride it like you stole it. I have a 16EPS and I don't really hear any knocking coming from mine, but as hard hearing as I am that doesn't really mean anything.

·
Super Moderator
1,250 Posts
I have noticed on some machines the noise from the clutch/drive belt that sounds like a bunch of chains rattling together.

Is it speed sensitive in that it gets worse as you go faster or do you even notice it then? Or do you just hear it when the machine is just idling?

To narrow it down a little bit more if it is happening when you are just idling the engine and stopped you can take a long screwdriver and place the blade where you think it is originating from and then place the handle on your ear. You might be able to narrow it down to where it is happening by doing this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts