Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here, and I apologize if this topic has been posted but nothing comes up when I use the Search. I bought a 700 EPS SE one month ago to the day and have experienced random stalls on 3-4 occasions. It first happened when in limited slip 4x4 so I went back to 2 and it still happened. It happened again when I was really low on gas so I thought maybe it wasn't getting fuel...so I filled it up and it still happened. This is my first quad so I admit I know very little of the issues I'd potentially experience and their causes. There's no consistency to when it happens. Has anyone else experienced their bike shutting down for apparently no reason? Any advice is appreciated.

Super Moderator
I'd take it into the dealer and have them check it out. There isn't much of a warranty but use what you have. Also if you take it in you will have it documented that there is a problem if they don't take care of it.

Registered
Mine did the same a couple of times. Happened if I slowed down in a rough spot. Always started right back up again. Hasn't done it for awhile though.

Registered
i had issues with it dying until i got a fuel optimizer. havent had it die since unless was turned over. plus backfires disappeared.

Super Moderator
Let us know what they find.

Registered
It is likely due to running too lean. These machines are leaned right out to meet emissions standards. I have heard of some stalling issues at slow speed.

Registered
The couple times that it stalled on me it was always crawling at very slow speeds. In each instance I may have "stabbed" the throttle and the thumb slipped off and let the throttle snap right back closed.
Trying to find an explanation for the stall, and I'm thinking that the engine revs up just enough to engage the wet clutch but then letting go of the throttle will cause the engine to stall, kinda like when you pop the clutch without giving it enough gas in a manual trans.
Who knows? It doesn't happen often enough to bother me , but I can see how it can even be dangerous if you're climbing and loose power at a bad moment.

Registered
I had a major issue with stalling when I first purchased my 16 kodiak. After a long fight it finally came to be a faulty throttle body. I did a post called "2016 owner review" in the general forum in March/April 2016 going over everything that was done to test. Still running good with no major issues and coming up on 900 miles. First 250 were **** with stalling and dying.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had a major issue with stalling when I first purchased my 16 kodiak. After a long fight it finally came to be a faulty throttle body. I did a post called "2016 owner review" in the general forum in March/April 2016 going over everything that was done to test. Still running good with no major issues and coming up on 900 miles. First 250 were **** with stalling and dying.
Hi FarNorthID, I found and read your post after I learned how to search properly. What a nightmare it sounds like you went through. As someone else mentioned, my stalls were also at slow speeds, and with a fairly warm engine. I think someone said in your post that the bike "wants to let the dogs out". I haven't had the issue in a couple of weeks. I should take it in...but my gf and I are on our way up to our cottage on Pymatuning Lake, PA. We've got 5 acres there to tear up! Oh, hauling them on my new Leonard ATV/Utility trailer.

Attachments

Registered
stalling

my 2016 kodiak 700 se stalls when going slow and after running for a while it will not start untill it cools down .if I pump the throttle it seams to start faster .dont know why as it is FI.I run premium gas but have also tried mid grade no difference. any thoughts would be great. has 150 hrs.
Thanks

Registered
Hey FarNorthID did your kodiak have the deceleration popping also? If so did the throttle body take care of it? Thanks for your time in advance I have taken my 2017 kodiak se to the dealer about stalling and told them what y'all have went through and looks like I'm in for the same ride.

Registered
Hey FarNorthID did your kodiak have the deceleration popping also? If so did the throttle body take care of it? Thanks for your time in advance I have taken my 2017 kodiak se to the dealer about stalling and told them what y'all have went through and looks like I'm in for the same ride.
Sorry for the slow response, To be honest I never had that issue really that I know of, sorry. When I got it I put it straight to work pulling a small trailer picking up and hauling tree's and brush from a wind storm we had. I was at low speed and just bumping the throttle to move the quad and trailer forward 20 feet to load more debris and it would just bog and die as soon as I touched the throttle . I think my average speed in the first 80 hours was 4.5 mph.. ha! After the first few times to the shop they had me go out and ride it hard (Normal for most) and if I stopped in the middle of the trail and bumped the throttle to turn around in a tight spot it would do the same, hollow bog and die but would always fire back up and carry on? Never had back fire or popping that I remember, I hope they get you squared away. Been running great since the new throttle body.

Registered
Thanks for the reply and mine is cuting off at low speeds also. Its back at the shop as we speak. Glad they have gotten yours straight hope they can get mine right too.

Registered
I have had my kodiak almost a year, going through a woods trail last night in low range let off the throttle and it shut off just like some turned off the key. This is not normal. Between this and the bike running lean and hot I will probably not buy another Yamaha. I wish Yamaha would come to the table and put out a recall and fix these issuses they know they are happening but do nothing about it. I called my dealer and they play dumb and say oh never heard of that before not sure what would cause that.

Registered
the popping, backfiring, dying all the time, running way too hot... i'm sure it's all due to being so lean. the fuel optimizer is what turned mine around to desired operation. what always worried me was it'd die when water was above the rear exhaust and it'd just suck it in trying to restart... luckily didn't happen, but am sure it's gonna happen to someone. just buying an optimizer is, to me, easier than hassling with the dealer and them sitting on it for two weeks at their shop waiting on some part that might fix it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts