Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Kodiak 700 EPS SE and I noticed that if I'm crawling or driving slow while plowing the quad will randomly stall. It starts right back up. I haven't bothered calling the dealer yet because I'm sure they wont be able to replicate the problem and it will be a wasted trip. Anyone have a similar problem?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Very commun complaint with the 708 engines when not yet "broken in"....
Many new owners have observed the well documented "slow speed stalls" issue
Nothing to worry about until you ve accumulated about thousand miles.

·
Registered
342 Posts
It hasn't been doing that lately when out trail riding, but initially it did it more.
I've got about 200 miles on mine and was plowing yesterday, and it died several times.
I think it has to do with a voltage issue. Seemed to happen most when I was starting to lift the plow up while the radiator fan was running and before giving the throttle to reverse.

I know my street bike is very picky about having a good battery that's fully charged and all the connections have to be perfect. Just reminded me of that.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Likely not your issue, but if you have the Differential lock on, and it is not fully engaged, it can cause a similar engine issue. The light needs to be red and not flashing to show it is fully engaged.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a little over 1200 miles on my 2017 and it does this too. It usually does it when I’m beating the crap out of it but it will also do it randomly. I’m not sure why it does it but it always starts back up fine. Usually when it does this it also simultaneously backfires through the throttle body. It’s not very loud but you can definitely tell when it does it. It hasn’t really been that big of a deal so I haven’t messed with it other than normal maintenance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had same problem. Got an ehs fuel controller and plugged my ais. Haven’t stalled once since making this change. I’ve read that these machines are dangerously lean from factory to pass emissions and that’s what prompted my changes. I haven’t put enough hours or miles on to say that it cured it completely. All I know is it feels right now and last few times I’ve plowed there wasn’t so much as a hiccup. Before I’d stall 4 or 5 times in a 2 hour long session of pushing snow.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Thanks for the info, I will be hoping for an update on your improvement. I also am looking at doing this for my machine, so if you are willing to tell us what you have and offer your recommendation

·
Registered
9 Posts
Went ice fishing other day and drove off and on for several hours. Also had another session with my plow and still hasn’t stalled. I’m convinced my stalling issue was a combination of being lean and having the ais system dumping exhaust gas into my air box.

·
Registered
9 Posts
As to what I have and have done. It’s a 2018 kodiak 700. I put an EHS fuel controller on as well as their k&n kit. I plugged the ais on airbox end with a rtv applicator tip. I cut it down to about an inch then used rtv around it and plugged hole. I put hose back over plugged nipple. I also removed my spark arrestor and replaced with an open tip similar to ones sold on eBay. I just made my own out of a scrap piece of aluminum I had lying around. Like I said earlier no stall since mods. Definitely happy now. Nothing worse than having something brand new that stalls every other time u come to a stop.

Attachments

·
Registered
473 Posts
Wonderful, I will be moving forward on this, I will do some more research to be certain what I am doing. Thanks for the input, and keep us updated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts