Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy yall,

I'm wondering what everyone used for rack dry storage? I currently have a MOG soft bag on the back rack, but want a hard case.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a wes classic standard seat on the back of mine. Of course it's a seat, so the storage area is funny shaped.. but it definitely holds plenty of crap.

·
Super Moderator
127 Posts
I had one of the seat/storage boxes that came on a used 07 Grizzly I purchased. I really ended up disliking it as I kept bumping into the "arms" that extended towards the front. I got rid of that and went with a Tamarack Regular Front Storage box and mounted it on the rear rack where it opens in the back. It is very much out of the way while I'm riding. It is smaller so it holds less but I'm fine with that because it is no longer in the way. As for being a dry box, it is not. In fact, you will be looking for a while to find something that properly seals out water/mud/dust that is an actual box designed for ATV use. Many use large Pelican style boxes, but for me that defeated my purpose of finding a smaller box which stayed out of the way. So inside my Tamarack box I put most everything in a dry bag. Everything in the dry bag stays water/mud/dust free.

Reactions: Kingwalleye

·
Registered
302 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
man i would really love to know/see these boxes filled with ****.

Good Post, i am looking for an alternative to my metal rack that hangs waaaaay off the back, which holds alot.

mainly i need it to fit my chainsaw and 50 pounds bag of corn and buckets... but i dont want it to protrude soo far off the back of my rack.

surely there has to be something That will meet my needs and not hang 2 feet off the back,

·
Super Moderator
1,308 Posts
It's always fun to read what owners want in a box on the back of their machine. I have looked at just about every one out there and can't find one for mine that I actually like the look or or the storage capabilities.

I do carry a passenger at times so a padded seat is a must, anyone who has ridden on the back rack without one for a ways will know just what I mean. The larger storage boxes with the pad are all over the place on just how they are designed. I found one that I was considering but to open it up requires the passenger to get off of the bike and then the whole storage areas lid is opened. Another one the pads are held on with Velcro. Reading the reviews on these you find that owners are replacing those pads quite often as they will blow off when transporting the machine.

I have even thought about building my own out of a marine grade plywood and then using some truck bed liner liquid on it to seal it up and waterproof it, I still may go this direction.

For carrying a chainsaw, have you thought about a scabard where the bar fits into it and then secure it with a bungee strap? Now that bag of corn and buckets are a different problem. They make bucket holders but they stick out of the back of the rack, but where else are you going to actually carry a 5 gallon bucket?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am not even apposed to getting another basket, as long as it doesn't hang crazy off the back

I have a stihl ms271, it fits across my rack as is.

Something like this great day might light rear rack, it looks like it fits without sticking way off the back..

·
Registered
85 Posts
that's on an artic cat by the way.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi All,

My wifes rack needs no remedy :)

But I have it narrowed down to three (maybe two)

Black Widow ATV-CB-8020 which shows all the specs I need which just fits my chainsaw I believe

But I am also waiting to hear back from Montana Jacks On the inside dimensions of their Model 5020 Magnum Box, I really like this one, but dont know just yet.

And Its super frustrating, because I would like to consider the Yamaha brand one, I just cant find any true dimensions on the rear cargo box for our Kodiaks.

·
Registered
85 Posts
and its not like you can walk into a store and compare each one side by side..

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have the Yamaha rear cargo box. Here's a video showing it close up with some measurements.

Thank you sir! That one is not tall enough for what I need it for, so I will have to cross one that off.

But damn that one is really nice!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well,

I Called Kolpin direct, they were great help, Pretty sure I am gonna go this route:

Model 93450

• Dimensions: 42.5" l x 21.5" w x 16.75" h

·
Registered
85 Posts
Actually - that is exactly what i ordered!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm also using the Tamarack front box on the back. Mostly because it doesn't make getting to the battery a chore.
It fits everything I need and if I need something bigger I just strap a pelican case on the front.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am not even apposed to getting another basket, as long as it doesn't hang crazy off the back

I have a stihl ms271, it fits across my rack as is.

Something like this great day might light rear rack, it looks like it fits without sticking way off the back..

View attachment 10107
Where might a person find that rack?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts