Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2001 Kodiak 400 for my daughter to ride. I'll be the first to tell you that I am no mechanic. There's 3 things I don't mess with... high-voltage electricity, spinning blades, and complex mechanics. This rule has served me well... I still have all my hair, all my fingers, and half my common sense.

I'm just wondering what I should be looking at replacing and/or upgrading right out of the shoot. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Super Moderator
I had a 2000 and rode it for 17 years before getting rid of it and the only real thing that I did with it is to add a padded bag on the back of it. It took me everywhere that I wanted to go and more. It was a great machine and the only reason I got rid of it is that something happened to the engine where I was getting oil blow by into the air box and didn't want to deal with it.

Registered
Pablo, where in Minnesota are you located? I just recently picked up a 2000 Yamaha Kodiak 400, so far i really like it. So I'll be interested in hearing what others have to say to upgrade also. I did add new wheels and tires to mine, since I mainly use mine around the yard I'm trying to figure out a good receive hitch to put on it for a 1-1/4" ball mount, but not finding anything that is bolt on so I may have to make one.

Super Moderator
I don't believe that there is any bolt on ones except for some that just bolt into the existing hole which would make it more flimsy than what is on it now.

I pulled a 16' car hauler trailer around with mine and just a 2" ball in the factory hitch and it did just fine. The only problem that I had was the trailer jack coming real close to the rear rack. But other than that it did it even with a lot of extra weight on the trailer when I would pull it out of my back yard to the driveway to hook up to my truck.

If you do make one up I would go with a 2" receiver, a lot more options than a 1 1/4 hitch.

Registered
Thanks for the info JimP, I'm finding out that this thing can pull anything I throw at it. My problem is that I want to move my 17' aluminum boat around with it and the factory hitch in so low the the ground that I can't jack the boat trailer down low enough, to swing the trail jack out of the way. I ended up using a different jack further back on the trailer so I could get it lowered enough, when I did get it attached it pulls like a dream. I'm going to make one that has a 3" rise so I can use my trailer jack. I'll post a picture when i get it done, and more than likely I'll have it welded to the current hitch so ther wouldn't be any flex in it.

Super Moderator
That was also a problem that I found with mine but I have enough jacks laying around the house that I was able to get it figured out with no problems.

But even with the receiver on my 700 I ended up building a trailer dolly that connected into the receiver to pull my trailer around. With the independent suspension the 700 would squat so low that I would drag the trailer jack. It is always fun dealing with new problems.

Registered
Are there any grease zirks on the 2000 that needed to be greased? I looked in the service manual and didn't see any mention of grease zirks anywhere.

Super Moderator
Nope no zirks.

Registered
I have a 2000 Big Bear. That I let my kid use when I picked up a new Kodiak. Just change the fluids a new spark plug and you should be fine. I would take a look at the brake lines and make sure they aren't dry rotted.

Other than that enjoy it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
I had a 2000 and rode it for 17 years before getting rid of it and the only real thing that I did with it is to add a padded bag on the back of it. It took me everywhere that I wanted to go and more. It was a great machine and the only reason I got rid of it is that something happened to the engine where I was getting oil blow by into the air box and didn't want to deal with it.
Thanks Jim, sounds like its pretty bullet proof. I brought to my toy repair guru to have all the fluids changed, filters, etc. and have him do his magic stuff. Looking forward to hitting the trail with it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Pablo, where in Minnesota are you located? I just recently picked up a 2000 Yamaha Kodiak 400, so far i really like it. So I'll be interested in hearing what others have to say to upgrade also. I did add new wheels and tires to mine, since I mainly use mine around the yard I'm trying to figure out a good receive hitch to put on it for a 1-1/4" ball mount, but not finding anything that is bolt on so I may have to make one.
I'm in Cambridge (north of twin cities, east of St. Cloud). No super close trails though so I end up trailering everywhere I go :frown2:

I'm in agreement with Jim on the hitch. I would go with the 2-inch vs 1-1/4-inch. If for no other reason, you have more options.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
I have a 2000 Big Bear. That I let my kid use when I picked up a new Kodiak. Just change the fluids a new spark plug and you should be fine. I would take a look at the brake lines and make sure they aren't dry rotted.

Other than that enjoy it.
Thanks! I'm hoping it will be a good dependable machine for the kids. I also have a 2-wheel drive Kawasaki Bayou 220 for them to ride but they sometimes struggle with having to manually shift (at least there is no hand clutch). The Kodiak is an automatic so should resolve that issue. Looking forward to many miles of smiles :grin2:

Registered
I ended up making one that should work great for my appliactions. I mainly use the wheeler to pull my 40 gallon lawn sprayer, utility trailer and move my boat around. That's the reason I made it have a bolt hole and a ball. I tried it out today and it works awesome, it's made from 1/2" flat stock steel.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
I fabricated my own out of some left over 3/16 steel diamond plate I had left over from a smoker I'm building. Bought the 21/2x2" reducer(receiver) from Walmart for 12$. It's a little dusty in the picture.
Nice! I like the diamond plate, looks good.

Registered
So a question for you guys, since this is the first Yamaha ATV I've owned (it has the engine braking and is a Ultramatic). When I drive mine I can hear a slight whistle coming from the front of the ATV? Is this normal? If not what do you guys think would be causing it?

Registered
So a question for you guys, since this is the first Yamaha ATV I've owned (it has the engine braking and is a Ultramatic). When I drive mine I can hear a slight whistle coming from the front of the ATV? Is this normal? If not what do you guys think would be causing it?
My 550 Grizzly also makes a "slight whistling" noise in front. Not really sure what causes it, but I ve racked up 5000kms since I purchased it 1.5 year ago without issues, so I've assume it's normal.

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
Here's a couple of picture of the one I made. Since mines a 2000, i decided to use the same mounting bracket and just add the raised bracket to it. Now I can haul my boat and pull my yard sprayer with out disconnecting anything.
Very nice. Simple yet effective. Do you have any issues with it rotating?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts